Utah woman arrested in murder of 7 of her babies
A Utah woman accused of killing seven babies she gave birth to over 10 years was arrested on Sunday when police discovered the tiny bodies stuffed in separate cardboard boxes in the garage of her former home.
Megan Huntsman, 39, who lived in the Utah home until three years ago, had the infants between 1996 and 2006, investigators said.
Officers responded to a call on Saturday from Huntsman's estranged husband about a dead infant at the home in Pleasant Grove, 35 miles south of Salt Lake City, police Capt. Michael Roberts said. Officers then discovered the six other bodies.
Roberts declined to comment on a motive and what Huntsman said during an interview with investigators.
The spokesman said the estranged husband lived with Huntsman when the babies were born but isn't a person of interest at this time. The man's name was not immediately released.
“We don't believe he had any knowledge of the situation,” Roberts said.
Asked how the man could not have known if he lived in the house, Roberts replied, “That's the million-dollar question. Amazing.”
The babies' bodies were sent to the Utah medical examiner's office for tests, including one to determine the cause of death. DNA samples taken from the suspect and her husband will determine definitively whether the two are the parents, as investigators believe.
The house in a middle-class neighborhood is owned by the husband's parents, and the man was cleaning out the garage when he made the grisly discovery.
Huntsman's three daughters still live there, longtime neighbor Sharon Chipman told The Salt Lake Tribune. The oldest are around 18 to 20 years old, while the youngest is about 13, she said.
Huntsman was a great neighbor, and Chipman trusted her to watch her grandson when he was a toddler, Chipman added.
“She took good care of him. She was good. This really shocks me,” Chipman told The Tribune.
Roberts said the case has been “emotionally draining” and upsetting to investigators. He was at the home when the bodies were discovered.
Huntsman was booked on Sunday into the Utah County Jail on six counts of murder. Roberts said it wasn't clear whether she has an attorney.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Clinton: Women ‘expect’ extremism from terrorists, not GOP candidates
- ‘Fear the Walking Dead’ series premiere sets cable record
- Breast cancer study fans overtreatment fears
- Obama opens climate change tour
- Virginia reporter, cameraman killed on air; gunman also dies
- Female sailors begin training for Navy submarine duty
- Eastern Pa. pastor in insider-trading scheme granted bail
- Affordable Care Act ‘Cadillace tax’ may prompt employers to trim health benefits
- 13 states spared EPA regulation of waterways
- CDC: 1 in 5 American adults live with a disability
- Federal government’s Mercury Men fine-tune office temperatures