150-plus birds seized at fighting venue in W.Va.
OAKVALE, W.Va. — Law enforcement officials who cited two Mercer County brothers for staging cockfights say they seized six fighting roosters and more than 150 birds.
The weekend bust was near Oakvale. Five people in all were cited on misdemeanor charges.
The Beckley Register-Herald reports that chicken coops were under construction at the Mercer County Animal Shelter to house the rescued birds. Fighting birds must be kept separately.
Six injured roosters were also confiscated along with cockfighting materials, such as spurs. The injured birds suffered from punctures and gashes.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Appalachian miners wiped out by coal glut they can’t reverse
- Music festivals say ‘no’ to fans’ selfie sticks
- Global warming is slowing down the circulation of the oceans — with potentially dire consequences
- 2nd suicide in a month jolts Missouri GOP
- U.S. parks cope with aging visitor base
- Indiana officials try to quell backlash over religious freedom law
- Police: Prisoner who stole gun, fled hospital found in D.C.
- Mysteries of dark matter come to light in Science study
- Despite high gas costs, Northeast resistant to pipelines
- Supreme Court allows Obamacare’s Medicare costs board to stand
- A revolt is growing as more people refuse to pay back student loans