150-plus birds seized at fighting venue in W.Va.
OAKVALE, W.Va. — Law enforcement officials who cited two Mercer County brothers for staging cockfights say they seized six fighting roosters and more than 150 birds.
The weekend bust was near Oakvale. Five people in all were cited on misdemeanor charges.
The Beckley Register-Herald reports that chicken coops were under construction at the Mercer County Animal Shelter to house the rescued birds. Fighting birds must be kept separately.
Six injured roosters were also confiscated along with cockfighting materials, such as spurs. The injured birds suffered from punctures and gashes.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Murder charges dropped against sergeant who shot 2 unarmed Iraqi boys
- First Ebola case in U.S. confirmed in Dallas
- Feds say $100M in data hacked
- Dallas hospital confirms 1st Ebola case in U.S.
- Secret Service chief endures blistering glare of Congress’ questions over White House breach
- New York City mayor boosts city’s living wage to $13.13
- Medical marijuana use to get court test in Colo.
- California becomes 1st state to ban plastic bags
- Pentagon review puts Gitmo transfers on ice
- FCC backs end to NFL broadcast blackouts
- Panel says Wis. lawmaker likely broke House rules by advocating for companies in which he owned stock