150-plus birds seized at fighting venue in W.Va.
OAKVALE, W.Va. — Law enforcement officials who cited two Mercer County brothers for staging cockfights say they seized six fighting roosters and more than 150 birds.
The weekend bust was near Oakvale. Five people in all were cited on misdemeanor charges.
The Beckley Register-Herald reports that chicken coops were under construction at the Mercer County Animal Shelter to house the rescued birds. Fighting birds must be kept separately.
Six injured roosters were also confiscated along with cockfighting materials, such as spurs. The injured birds suffered from punctures and gashes.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Disability claim waits grow alongside swelling caseloads for judges
- Ex-Subway pitchman Jared Fogle gets 15 years in prison for chid porn, sex with underage prostitutes
- Suspect named in New Orleans medical student shooting
- Chicago cop charged with murder in killing of black teen
- Self-driving vehicles closer to getting green light as feds ease stance
- Poll: 4 in 10 know someone who has been addicted to prescription painkillers
- ‘Crisis mode’ near at U.S.-Mexico line as nearly 5,000 children try to cross border in October
- Obama signs $607B Defense bill but blasts GOP limits for Gitmo
- White House fence jumper captured on lawn
- Chicago retail district targeted by protesters
- Floods claim lives in Texas