150-plus birds seized at fighting venue in W.Va.
OAKVALE, W.Va. — Law enforcement officials who cited two Mercer County brothers for staging cockfights say they seized six fighting roosters and more than 150 birds.
The weekend bust was near Oakvale. Five people in all were cited on misdemeanor charges.
The Beckley Register-Herald reports that chicken coops were under construction at the Mercer County Animal Shelter to house the rescued birds. Fighting birds must be kept separately.
Six injured roosters were also confiscated along with cockfighting materials, such as spurs. The injured birds suffered from punctures and gashes.
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- FBI trains 30,000 officers to confront mass shooters
- Dog-fighting ring raid leads to 22 indicted
- Moody’s lowers Met Opera rating
- Virus, pests blamed for Kan. death
- Former headmaster Wheeler of Delaware prep school convicted of dealing in child porn
- Ariz. begins giving licenses to young illegals
- Rolling Stone magazine asks Columbia Journalism School to review University of Virginia rape story
- Ohio coach violates parole terms
- Judge says Ariz. sheriff’s challenge of immigration plan better left for Congress
- Human rights groups urge criminal investigation into CIA torture
- Ebola in decline, CDC chief reports