150-plus birds seized at fighting venue in W.Va.
OAKVALE, W.Va. — Law enforcement officials who cited two Mercer County brothers for staging cockfights say they seized six fighting roosters and more than 150 birds.
The weekend bust was near Oakvale. Five people in all were cited on misdemeanor charges.
The Beckley Register-Herald reports that chicken coops were under construction at the Mercer County Animal Shelter to house the rescued birds. Fighting birds must be kept separately.
Six injured roosters were also confiscated along with cockfighting materials, such as spurs. The injured birds suffered from punctures and gashes.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- CIA admits Senate was spied on
- Museum sleepover for adults sells out
- Credit-card-stealing virus ‘Backoff’ virtually undetectable, Homeland Security warns
- IRS calls right-wing Republicans ‘crazies’ in emails
- Senate report to question detention, interrogation practices, secrecy at CIA after 9/11
- Ax disengages from truck on I-95, sticks in windshield of car behind it
- Rollout of health exchange draws flak from GAO official
- State Dept: ‘No American is proud’ of CIA tactics
- Congress considers dangers of driving high
- CEO shot, wounded in Chicago, apparently by demoted executive
- Law enforcement, intelligence agencies want to ‘like’ you on social media