150-plus birds seized at fighting venue in W.Va.
OAKVALE, W.Va. — Law enforcement officials who cited two Mercer County brothers for staging cockfights say they seized six fighting roosters and more than 150 birds.
The weekend bust was near Oakvale. Five people in all were cited on misdemeanor charges.
The Beckley Register-Herald reports that chicken coops were under construction at the Mercer County Animal Shelter to house the rescued birds. Fighting birds must be kept separately.
Six injured roosters were also confiscated along with cockfighting materials, such as spurs. The injured birds suffered from punctures and gashes.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Cafeteria worker tried to stop Washington school shooter
- Philadelphia Mafia figure returned to prison for meeting friend
- Test confirms remains are missing Virginia student’s
- 1686 shipwreck ‘like dinosaur’ being rebuilt for museum
- Warhol bodyguard sued over hidden artwork
- Seattle area school homecoming ‘prince’ guns down classmates
- Lawyer turns down AG post
- New York, New Jersey order 21-day quarantine of all in contact with Ebola virus
- North Korea releases Ohio man detained for 6 months
- Fight against Islamic State at impasse, military commanders say
- Federal officials: Dallas nurse free of Ebola