150-plus birds seized at fighting venue in W.Va.
OAKVALE, W.Va. — Law enforcement officials who cited two Mercer County brothers for staging cockfights say they seized six fighting roosters and more than 150 birds.
The weekend bust was near Oakvale. Five people in all were cited on misdemeanor charges.
The Beckley Register-Herald reports that chicken coops were under construction at the Mercer County Animal Shelter to house the rescued birds. Fighting birds must be kept separately.
Six injured roosters were also confiscated along with cockfighting materials, such as spurs. The injured birds suffered from punctures and gashes.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Scotland Yard’s Crime Museum goes on display in London
- More emails on Benghazi to go public
- Iowa ex-lottery security officer hit with new charges
- Gun rights supporters protest Obama’s trip to Oregon after campus shooting
- Arizona, Texas university shootings kill 2
- Hurricane remnants hit Alaska coast
- Secret Service Director Clancy revises account of Chaffetz job bid info
- Drone in Ellipse leads to citation for operator
- Transient trio jailed in pair’s slayings in California
- Searchers find cousins alive in Kentucky’s Red River Gorge area
- McCarthy drops out as GOP speaker candidate in shocker