150-plus birds seized at fighting venue in W.Va.
OAKVALE, W.Va. — Law enforcement officials who cited two Mercer County brothers for staging cockfights say they seized six fighting roosters and more than 150 birds.
The weekend bust was near Oakvale. Five people in all were cited on misdemeanor charges.
The Beckley Register-Herald reports that chicken coops were under construction at the Mercer County Animal Shelter to house the rescued birds. Fighting birds must be kept separately.
Six injured roosters were also confiscated along with cockfighting materials, such as spurs. The injured birds suffered from punctures and gashes.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pentagon program seeks to retain U.S. technological edge against foreign rivals
- Hurricane shattered Charleston, S.C., tested mayor 25 years ago
- Ticks reduce moose population in northern states
- Egyptian Bary admits links to 1998 U.S. Embassy bombings in Africa
- Threats from Mexican cartels lead protesters to scrap immigration rallies, organizer says
- DHS headquarters’ planning goes awry
- Scope of Chrysler’s latest SUV recall questioned
- 121 tourists stranded on schooner near Statue of Liberty
- New DNA testing in twins welcomed by prosecutors
- GOP senators fret U.S. would let Iran disconnect, not scrap, centrifuges
- Authorities in California search for 5 jail escapees