Share This Page

Boston Marathoners triumph over terror

| Monday, April 21, 2014, 9:09 p.m.

BOSTON — Some ran to honor the dead and wounded. Others were out to prove something to the world about their sport, the city or their country. And some wanted to prove something to themselves.

With the names of the victims scrawled on their bodies or their race bibs, more than 32,000 people ran in the Boston Marathon on Monday in a powerful show of defiance a year after the deadly bombing.

“We're marathon runners. We know how to endure,” said Dennis Murray, a 62-year-old health care administrator from Atlanta who finished just before the explosions last year and came back to run again. “When they try to take our freedom and our democracy, we come back stronger.”

The two pressure-cooker bombs that went off near the end of the 26.2-mile course killed three people and wounded more than 260 in a spectacle of torn limbs, acrid smoke and broken glass. But the city vowed to return even stronger, and the victory by Meb Keflezighi — the first American in 31 years to win the men's race — helped deliver on that promise.

On Twitter, President Obama congratulated Keflezighi and Shalane Flanagan, the top American finisher among the women, “for making America proud!”

“All of today's runners showed the world the meaning of #BostonStrong,” Obama wrote.

The race was held under extraordinary security, including 100 new surveillance cameras, officers posted on roofs and more than 90 bomb-sniffing dogs.

As runners continued to drag themselves across the finish line in the late afternoon, more than six hours into the race, state emergency officials reported no security threats other than some unattended bags.

Kenya's Rita Jeptoo won the women's race in a course-record 2 hours, 18 minutes, 57 seconds, defending the title she won last year but could not celebrate because of the tragedy.

A 38-year-old U.S. citizen who emigrated from Eritrea as a boy, Keflezighi wrote the names of the three dead on his bib along with that of the MIT police officer killed during the manhunt.

“I came as a refugee, and the United States gave me hope,” said Keflezighi, who was welcomed by fans chanting “U.S.A.!”

At 2:49 p.m., the time of the first explosion, the crowd at the finish line observed a moment of silence — then broke into some of the loudest cheers of the day, with whooping, clapping and the clanging of cowbells.

The starting field this year of 32,408 included 600 people who were given special invitations for those who were “profoundly impacted” by the attacks, and about 5,000 runners who were stopped on the course when the bombs went off.

“Today, when I got to that point, I said, ‘I have to do some unfinished business,' ” said runner Vicki Schmidt, 52, of Nashville. She added: “You can't hold us back. You can't get us down. Boston is magical. This is our place.”

Some of the victims returned for a ceremonial crossing of the finish line.

“It was hard. It was really hard,” said Heather Abbott, who wore a “Boston Strong” sticker on the black prosthesis where her left leg used to be. “I was really nervous. I didn't want to fall. ... I'm just glad we made it.”

Tatyana McFadden, who was 6 and sickly when she was adopted out of a Russian orphanage by an American, won the women's wheelchair race for the second consecutive year. Afterward, she spoke of Martin Richard, the 8-year-old boy who was the youngest of those killed in the explosions.

“I have a Russian heritage, but I am an American,” McFadden said. “For today, not only was I running for Martin and his family, but all those other people that were affected by last year.”

Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, 20, is awaiting trial in the attack and could get the death penalty. Prosecutors said he and his older brother — ethnic Chechens who came to America from Russia more than a decade ago — carried out the attack in retaliation for U.S. wars in Muslim lands.

TribLIVE commenting policy

You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.

We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.

While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.

We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers

We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.

We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.

We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.

We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.