Bayer, Reckitt among final contenders for Merck consumer health care unit
Merck & Co. Inc. is in the final stages of selling its consumer health care unit for nearly $14 billion, with Bayer AG and Reckitt Benckiser Group Plc among final contenders to clinch a deal as soon as this week, people familiar with the matter said.
Germany's Bayer and British consumer products giant Reckitt have emerged as front-runners to win the auction after each offering about $13.5 billion for the Merck consumer unit, best known for Coppertone sunscreen and Claritin allergy medicine, the sources said.
Both bidders are very keen to buy the asset, and the price tag could go higher in the final days, one person added. All the people asked not to be named because the matter is not public.
Representatives of American drugmaker Merck, as well as Bayer and Reckitt, declined to comment.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Upstate New York town threatened by Arizona man in online post, reports say
- Hunt on for mother of baby buried alive in California
- Storm lingers in southern Plains
- New Navy destroyer Zumwalt’s seaworthiness questioned before sea trials
- Artists plan to rebuild Alaska art display damaged by tides
- Hawaii confronts dengue fever cases
- Police officer killed in Colorado Spring clinic rampage a co-pastor, figure skater
- Police union stands by Chicago officer charged with murdering teen
- Chicago cop charged with murder in killing of black teen
- Nuclear crossroad: California reactors face uncertain future
- Peanut glut poses hefty bailout tab for taxpayers