Bayer, Reckitt among final contenders for Merck consumer health care unit
Merck & Co. Inc. is in the final stages of selling its consumer health care unit for nearly $14 billion, with Bayer AG and Reckitt Benckiser Group Plc among final contenders to clinch a deal as soon as this week, people familiar with the matter said.
Germany's Bayer and British consumer products giant Reckitt have emerged as front-runners to win the auction after each offering about $13.5 billion for the Merck consumer unit, best known for Coppertone sunscreen and Claritin allergy medicine, the sources said.
Both bidders are very keen to buy the asset, and the price tag could go higher in the final days, one person added. All the people asked not to be named because the matter is not public.
Representatives of American drugmaker Merck, as well as Bayer and Reckitt, declined to comment.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Former Pa. state worker charged with stealing 610 helmets
- Speaker Boehner vows House response to Obama’s immigration policy changes
- Paralyzed Marine uses robotic legs to walk during Bronze Star ceremony
- As snow melts, floods a growing concern in Buffalo
- Former Va. Sen. Webb launches presidential exploratory committee
- Utah’s concealed-carry permits skyrocket in popularity
- Mastectomies defy logic of survival rates
- 5 family members killed on ‘dream trip’ to Disney
- Nebraska hospital: Surgeon with Ebola has died
- Plan in works to speed up schools’ Internet service
- Senate Democrats reject bill to build Keystone pipeline