Bayer, Reckitt among final contenders for Merck consumer health care unit
Merck & Co. Inc. is in the final stages of selling its consumer health care unit for nearly $14 billion, with Bayer AG and Reckitt Benckiser Group Plc among final contenders to clinch a deal as soon as this week, people familiar with the matter said.
Germany's Bayer and British consumer products giant Reckitt have emerged as front-runners to win the auction after each offering about $13.5 billion for the Merck consumer unit, best known for Coppertone sunscreen and Claritin allergy medicine, the sources said.
Both bidders are very keen to buy the asset, and the price tag could go higher in the final days, one person added. All the people asked not to be named because the matter is not public.
Representatives of American drugmaker Merck, as well as Bayer and Reckitt, declined to comment.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Appeals court tosses gag order in ex-coal company CEO’s case
- Ringling Bros. circus eliminating elephant acts
- Plane skids off runway at LaGuardia; no injuries reported
- This winter, a fur coat’s not enough
- Mogul donates $100M to Lincoln Center
- NYC public schools to close on 2 major Muslim holidays
- Defense strategy for Boston Marathon bombing defendant Tsarnaev is to avoid death penalty
- Winter storm swirls from Texas to New England
- Inside job suspected in robbery of gold bars from truck
- Carnegie Mellon expert to school Congress on security
- Physicians’ organization cites shortages of doctors will grow, mostly in senior care