Bayer, Reckitt among final contenders for Merck consumer health care unit
Merck & Co. Inc. is in the final stages of selling its consumer health care unit for nearly $14 billion, with Bayer AG and Reckitt Benckiser Group Plc among final contenders to clinch a deal as soon as this week, people familiar with the matter said.
Germany's Bayer and British consumer products giant Reckitt have emerged as front-runners to win the auction after each offering about $13.5 billion for the Merck consumer unit, best known for Coppertone sunscreen and Claritin allergy medicine, the sources said.
Both bidders are very keen to buy the asset, and the price tag could go higher in the final days, one person added. All the people asked not to be named because the matter is not public.
Representatives of American drugmaker Merck, as well as Bayer and Reckitt, declined to comment.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- FBI investigates celebrities’ nude photo claims
- High court to weigh pregnancy work rights
- Ferguson police begin wearing body cameras
- Anti-abortion law in effect in Louisiana, with a caveat
- Texas GOP lawmaker calls for end to 40-year crude oil export ban
- U.S. to get base in Niger to aid Islamist hunt
- President’s Labor Day appearance heavy on politicking
- Perry distances himself from unflattering image tweeted of DA
- New heart failure drug works much better than current treatment, study finds
- Surveillance video in Wal-Mart police killing sought
- Ferguson sued over police actions amid riots