Boehner says House's Benghazi probe 'all about getting to the truth'
WASHINGTON — House Republicans on Wednesday moved toward an election-year special investigation of the deadly attack on a U.S. diplomatic post in Libya, brushing aside Democratic concerns over the panel's scope and composition. The Obama administration, meanwhile, accused Republicans of “political motivation” because they issued a fundraising email linked to the Benghazi probe.
Before a Thursday vote to rubber-stamp the establishment of the Benghazi select committee, House Speaker John Boehner vowed that the examination would be “all about getting to the truth” of the Obama administration's response to the attack and not be a partisan, election-year circus. “This is a serious investigation,” he said, accusing the president and his team of withholding the true story of how militants killed Ambassador Chris Stevens and three other Americans on Sept. 11, 2012.
Democrats pondered a boycott while waiting for Boehner to respond to demand from Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi that he scrap his plan for a committee of seven Republicans and five Democrats. Democrats insisted membership should be evenly split, and urged time and cost constraints for a forum they likened to a “kangaroo court” designed only to drum up GOP support ahead of the November elections.
Under Boehner's legislation, the select panel “can go on forever,” said Rep. Xavier Becerra, D-Calif. “The amount of money they can spend is undefined and can be unlimited.”
The committee's establishment is assured in the GOP-run House. But Republicans, too, expressed an interest in securing Democratic participation. They've made Benghazi a central plank of their strategy to wrest control of the Senate from the Democrats later this year. An inquiry that can be presented as bipartisan would have greater credibility with voters beyond the conservative base.
Republicans insist the White House, concerned primarily with protecting President Obama in the final weeks of his re-election campaign, misled the nation by playing down intelligence suggesting Benghazi was a major, al-Qaida-linked terrorist attack. They accuse the administration of stonewalling congressional investigators ever since, pointing specifically to emails written by U.S. officials in the days after the attack but only released last week.
“A line was crossed,” said Boehner, who in April said there was no need for a select committee. Correspondence among top officials showed the White House “played a more significant role” in deciding how the attack ought to be described publicly, he told reporters on Wednesday.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- VA Phoenix social worker on leave for Halloween costume
- U.S. has urged legal reforms abroad to block Islamic State recruits
- Student dies in traditional Ohio State University lake jump
- Email address gives FBI lead on record theft of user IDs, passwords
- Peanut glut poses hefty bailout tab for taxpayers
- New Hampshire cancer patient gets permission to travel to Maine for medical pot
- ‘Crisis mode’ near at U.S.-Mexico line as nearly 5,000 children try to cross border in October
- Obama signs $607B Defense bill but blasts GOP limits for Gitmo
- Military Academy bans pillow fights; 30 hurt during last one
- Video prompts calls for probe of Chicago police
- Ex-Subway pitchman Jared Fogle gets 15 years in prison for chid porn, sex with underage prostitutes