'New left' is waging war against Christians, Louisiana governor says Christians
Elitist intellectuals and liberals are waging a religious war against Christians, trying to silence them, Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal told graduates of Liberty University.
“The new left in America is completely intolerant of people of faith,” Jindal said. “The left no longer wants to debate. They simply want to silence us.”
Jindal said abundant evidence includes the experiences of the Benham brothers and Phil Robertson of “Duck Dynasty.”
HGTV canceled “Flip it Forward” — a real estate show featuring brothers David and Jason Benham — before a scheduled October debut after the lobbying group Right Wing Watch labeled David Benham an “anti-gay extremist” and reported on statements he made against homosexuality and gay marriage.
The A&E network briefly suspended “Duck Dynasty” patriarch Phil Robertson after GQ magazine quoted him as saying that homosexuals are sinners and that African Americans were happy under Jim Crow laws establishing segregation.
“They have the right to speak their minds, no matter how indelicately they choose to do so,” Jindal said. “The war of religious liberty is the war of free speech.”
Jindal said much of American culture has become secular, but religious freedom invented America and faith sustains it.
He urged the graduates to stand up for their Christian education and their beliefs.
“If God is with us, then who can be against us?” he said.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Fraternity’s racist chant among its traditions, University of Oklahoma finds
- Global warming is slowing down the circulation of the oceans — with potentially dire consequences
- 30 new species of flies found in L.A. experiment
- GOP budget proposal guts federal spending, health care
- Maryland might owe federal government millions for health care exchange
- Report: Prepare to drill for oil in Arctic
- Gun used by agent who helped jail Capone headed to museum
- Clinton wiped private email server ‘clean’
- National briefs
- Sen. Reid follows same old script for Democrats as he endorses Schumer as successor
- Baby cut from Colo. mom-to-be didn’t live outside wombm, autopsy finds