'New left' is waging war against Christians, Louisiana governor says Christians
Elitist intellectuals and liberals are waging a religious war against Christians, trying to silence them, Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal told graduates of Liberty University.
“The new left in America is completely intolerant of people of faith,” Jindal said. “The left no longer wants to debate. They simply want to silence us.”
Jindal said abundant evidence includes the experiences of the Benham brothers and Phil Robertson of “Duck Dynasty.”
HGTV canceled “Flip it Forward” — a real estate show featuring brothers David and Jason Benham — before a scheduled October debut after the lobbying group Right Wing Watch labeled David Benham an “anti-gay extremist” and reported on statements he made against homosexuality and gay marriage.
The A&E network briefly suspended “Duck Dynasty” patriarch Phil Robertson after GQ magazine quoted him as saying that homosexuals are sinners and that African Americans were happy under Jim Crow laws establishing segregation.
“They have the right to speak their minds, no matter how indelicately they choose to do so,” Jindal said. “The war of religious liberty is the war of free speech.”
Jindal said much of American culture has become secular, but religious freedom invented America and faith sustains it.
He urged the graduates to stand up for their Christian education and their beliefs.
“If God is with us, then who can be against us?” he said.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Snowstorm crawls up coast, hitting New York, New Jersey, Connecticut, parts of Pennsylvania
- Police search finds no bombs on planes at Atlanta airport
- Boy, 13, arrested in fatal stabbing at David Wark Griffith Middle School in East Los Angeles
- Gunfire kills 3 at party in vacant house in Omaha
- High-value detainees allowed family calls
- New York father kils 3 generations of family, himself
- Marine Corps’ general outlines priorities, vision
- Iowa event jump-starts primary campaigns
- Wind knocks out power in Los Angeles
- Obama to spell out war against Islamic State of Iraq and Syria
- Secret Service: Shots fired near Biden’s Delaware home