Kerry to testify on alternative date on attack in Benghazi
WASHINGTON — The State Department and a House panel are working on an alternative date for Secretary of State John Kerry to testify about information related to the deadly attack in Benghazi, Libya, ending the immediate threat of a subpoena for a member of President Obama's Cabinet.
Rep. Darrell Issa, chairman of the House Oversight and Government Reform Committee, had subpoenaed Kerry to testify on May 21 about the administration's response in providing emails and other documents to the panel investigating the Sept. 11, 2012, attack. Kerry is scheduled to travel to Mexico next week.
“The State Department has told the Committee that they are committed to finding an alternative date in the near future for Secretary Kerry to testify before the Oversight Committee,” Frederick Hill, a spokesman for the panel, said on Monday. “As such, Chairman Issa agreed to lift the subpoena obligation for May 21.”
The Oversight Committee is pressing ahead with its investigation even as the House established a new select committee to conduct an inquiry into the assault that killed four Americans, including Ambassador Chris Stevens.
In the Senate on Monday, Democrats blocked a Republican push for a joint House-Senate investigation.
Sen. Ted Cruz, R-Texas, sought support for the Senate to participate in the inquiry. Democratic Sen. Bob Menendez of New Jersey objected, saying the probe is politically motivated and without merit.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Man caught jumping White House fence
- 8 arrested in post-game riots in Morgantown
- Coast Guard to seek billions to protect Arctic interests
- Academic scandal at University of North Carolina bigger than previously reported
- Coburn’s final ‘Wastebook’ tallies $25B in what he considers ‘pork’
- 4 private security guards convicted
- Security at Capitol questioned
- Social Security recipients to get increase in benefits
- Ferguson slaying of Brown reconstructed in county autopsy
- Personal use of Secret Service agents on staffer’s behalf draws investigaton
- Navy civilian goes on trial for diverting $2M to brother of his boss