Family cat saves Calif. boy from dog attack
A California child pulled from his bicycle by an attacking dog was saved by his family's cat on Tuesday, which quickly rushed in and attacked the dog, a video posted on YouTube showed on Wednesday.
The video, which quickly spread on the Internet, shows a young boy playing on a driveway in Bakersfield when a dog lunges at his leg, grabs hold of it with its jaws and drags the youngster off the bike.
A dark cat swiftly hurls itself onto the dog and chases it down the driveway and away from the child before a woman runs to help the boy.
Local media reported the video was from multiple security cameras and shows graphic pictures of the bite wounds suffered by the boy.
The child received stitches, his mother told KERO-TV Channel 23 in Bakersfield.
“Thankfully, it wasn't worse,” his father, Roger Triantafilo, wrote in posting the video. “My son is fine.”
Bakersfield police said the attacking dog, identified as an 8-month-old Labrador-Chow mix, had been surrendered by its owner's family and was in quarantine. It will be euthanized.
Police Sgt. Joseph Grubbs said the dog's owners, who live in the same neighborhood as the boy, said the canine did not like children or bicycles. He did not identify the owner by name.
The Triantafilo family could not be reached for immediate comment.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pentagon puts ‘fork’ in news about ex-captive Bergdahl
- Boy, 13, arrested in fatal stabbing at David Wark Griffith Middle School in East Los Angeles
- National Weather Service to evaluate work after missed call on storm
- Pittsburgh travelers feel effects of Northeast blizzard
- Systemic flaws found in safety oversight of gas pipelines
- Ramping up e-cigarette voltage may be more hazardous to health
- Blizzard howls its way into Boston but largely spares NYC
- 3 million gallons of brine leak from N.D. pipeline
- Medicare payments to tie doctor, hospital payments to quality rather than volume of care
- Evidence doesn’t support charges in Ferguson shooting death, sources say
- House GOP cancels vote on abortion bill