Family cat saves Calif. boy from dog attack
A California child pulled from his bicycle by an attacking dog was saved by his family's cat on Tuesday, which quickly rushed in and attacked the dog, a video posted on YouTube showed on Wednesday.
The video, which quickly spread on the Internet, shows a young boy playing on a driveway in Bakersfield when a dog lunges at his leg, grabs hold of it with its jaws and drags the youngster off the bike.
A dark cat swiftly hurls itself onto the dog and chases it down the driveway and away from the child before a woman runs to help the boy.
Local media reported the video was from multiple security cameras and shows graphic pictures of the bite wounds suffered by the boy.
The child received stitches, his mother told KERO-TV Channel 23 in Bakersfield.
“Thankfully, it wasn't worse,” his father, Roger Triantafilo, wrote in posting the video. “My son is fine.”
Bakersfield police said the attacking dog, identified as an 8-month-old Labrador-Chow mix, had been surrendered by its owner's family and was in quarantine. It will be euthanized.
Police Sgt. Joseph Grubbs said the dog's owners, who live in the same neighborhood as the boy, said the canine did not like children or bicycles. He did not identify the owner by name.
The Triantafilo family could not be reached for immediate comment.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Iraqi troops lack ‘will to fight,’ Secretary of Defense Carter says
- Navy divers to salvage remains of Confederate warship in Georgia
- John Nash, wife, ‘A Beautiful Mind’ inspiration, die in N.J. taxi crash
- Yellowstone injuries: Slips, falls outpace bear maulings
- Rare sighting of bird thrills watchers in Kansas
- Protester leaves Shell ship north of Seattle; 1 remains
- Florida mother who refused circumcision for son, 4, freed
- Chicago inmate eats screws, needles, amasses $1M medical tab
- Housing authority officer shot dead in New Orleans
- Flash floods in Texas, Oklahoma kill 2; hundreds of homes gone
- Cleveland protests of officer’s acquittal mostly peaceful