Family dog attacks, kills infant in Mich.
SPRINGFIELD TOWNSHIP, Mich. — A family dog fatally attacked its owners' 2½ month-old son, jumping on the couch and biting the infant, authorities in southeastern Michigan said.
The attack happened late Sunday morning in a home in Springfield Township, about 30 miles northwest of Detroit.
The child's 18-year-old uncle was holding the baby when the dog, a Catahoula hound, tried to jump onto the couch. The uncle pushed the dog off, but it jumped back on and attacked the boy's head and throat, sheriff Michael Bouchard told WDIV-TV.
There was no negligence by the adults involved, who had no reason to think the dog would attack the baby unprovoked, Bouchard said.
The infant's 26-year-old father was injured while prying open the dog's jaws, Bouchard said.
The boy was taken to Genesys Regional Medical Center before being airlifted to William Beaumont Hospital in Royal Oak, where he died, authorities said.
Authorities said they planned to euthanize the dog, a 3½-year-old female that the family had owned for about two years. The dogs can reach weights between 40 and 90 pounds.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Enrollment count in federal health care law padded, House panel says
- Obama defers deportations for 4 million illegals
- NSA: China thefts could lead to attack
- Ex-coal exec pleads not guilty in W.Va. mine blast
- Former Va. Sen. Webb launches presidential exploratory committee
- GOP hopes backlash doesn’t backfire
- 4 Yemenis, Tunisian moved from Gitmo
- FDA approves Hysingla painkiller’s abuse deterrent form
- Shooter wounds 3 in Florida State library before being killed by police
- Giant nutcracker will stand 41 feet
- CIA considers ‘major’ changes, including breaking up spying, analysis divisions