Family dog attacks, kills infant in Mich.
SPRINGFIELD TOWNSHIP, Mich. — A family dog fatally attacked its owners' 2½ month-old son, jumping on the couch and biting the infant, authorities in southeastern Michigan said.
The attack happened late Sunday morning in a home in Springfield Township, about 30 miles northwest of Detroit.
The child's 18-year-old uncle was holding the baby when the dog, a Catahoula hound, tried to jump onto the couch. The uncle pushed the dog off, but it jumped back on and attacked the boy's head and throat, sheriff Michael Bouchard told WDIV-TV.
There was no negligence by the adults involved, who had no reason to think the dog would attack the baby unprovoked, Bouchard said.
The infant's 26-year-old father was injured while prying open the dog's jaws, Bouchard said.
The boy was taken to Genesys Regional Medical Center before being airlifted to William Beaumont Hospital in Royal Oak, where he died, authorities said.
Authorities said they planned to euthanize the dog, a 3½-year-old female that the family had owned for about two years. The dogs can reach weights between 40 and 90 pounds.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- White woman sues sperm bank for giving her donation from black man
- Head of Secret Service resigns
- Illegal immigrants fail to report to agents
- MIT: Global Energy Use, CO2 May Double By 2100
- Records show Kissinger pursued strategy to attack Cuba
- ER knew ill man visiting from Africa, sent him home
- White man convicted of murder of black teenager in Jacksonville
- Same-sex marriage sits on Supreme Court’s pile
- Obama says U.S. wrong about Islamic State threat
- Murder charges dropped against sergeant who shot 2 unarmed Iraqi boys
- West Virginia has tallied 45,500 storage tanks so far