Family dog attacks, kills infant in Mich.
SPRINGFIELD TOWNSHIP, Mich. — A family dog fatally attacked its owners' 2½ month-old son, jumping on the couch and biting the infant, authorities in southeastern Michigan said.
The attack happened late Sunday morning in a home in Springfield Township, about 30 miles northwest of Detroit.
The child's 18-year-old uncle was holding the baby when the dog, a Catahoula hound, tried to jump onto the couch. The uncle pushed the dog off, but it jumped back on and attacked the boy's head and throat, sheriff Michael Bouchard told WDIV-TV.
There was no negligence by the adults involved, who had no reason to think the dog would attack the baby unprovoked, Bouchard said.
The infant's 26-year-old father was injured while prying open the dog's jaws, Bouchard said.
The boy was taken to Genesys Regional Medical Center before being airlifted to William Beaumont Hospital in Royal Oak, where he died, authorities said.
Authorities said they planned to euthanize the dog, a 3½-year-old female that the family had owned for about two years. The dogs can reach weights between 40 and 90 pounds.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Superstorm Sandy-hit areas in New York, New Jersey remain vulnerable
- Congress rankings detail its ‘poorest’ federal lawmakers
- WWII pilot takes off in B-29 yet again
- Hungry Yosemite National Park bears tracked by GPS
- Chicago train riders to undergo random baggage screening
- 3 Supreme Court justices offer Yale students an insider’s look at personalities
- Hawaiians on notice over lava flow
- Anti-abortion group tries to sway votes of women in Democratic households
- Teacher tried to stop Washington state shooting
- Teacher tried to stop school shooting
- Officers swarm California counties as deputies killed in shooting rampage