Family dog attacks, kills infant in Mich.
SPRINGFIELD TOWNSHIP, Mich. — A family dog fatally attacked its owners' 2½ month-old son, jumping on the couch and biting the infant, authorities in southeastern Michigan said.
The attack happened late Sunday morning in a home in Springfield Township, about 30 miles northwest of Detroit.
The child's 18-year-old uncle was holding the baby when the dog, a Catahoula hound, tried to jump onto the couch. The uncle pushed the dog off, but it jumped back on and attacked the boy's head and throat, sheriff Michael Bouchard told WDIV-TV.
There was no negligence by the adults involved, who had no reason to think the dog would attack the baby unprovoked, Bouchard said.
The infant's 26-year-old father was injured while prying open the dog's jaws, Bouchard said.
The boy was taken to Genesys Regional Medical Center before being airlifted to William Beaumont Hospital in Royal Oak, where he died, authorities said.
Authorities said they planned to euthanize the dog, a 3½-year-old female that the family had owned for about two years. The dogs can reach weights between 40 and 90 pounds.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Gay couple receives marriage license from controversial Ky. clerk’s office
- Kentucky county clerk Davis jailed for stand on same-sex marriage licenses
- Virginia cop indicted in man’s slaying
- Warrant required to track cellphones, Justice Department’s new policy states
- Video may provide clues in manhunt for officer’s killers in Illinois
- More Hillary emails have parts blocked, ruled classified
- Senate Dems get 34th vote to hand Obama victory on Iran deal
- 9 military labs halted amid fears over toxins
- Gitmo terror recidivism rate increases
- Former Corinthian College students seek relief
- Clinton aides pressed former State worker Pagliano to testify on use of email