Family dog attacks, kills infant in Mich.
SPRINGFIELD TOWNSHIP, Mich. — A family dog fatally attacked its owners' 2½ month-old son, jumping on the couch and biting the infant, authorities in southeastern Michigan said.
The attack happened late Sunday morning in a home in Springfield Township, about 30 miles northwest of Detroit.
The child's 18-year-old uncle was holding the baby when the dog, a Catahoula hound, tried to jump onto the couch. The uncle pushed the dog off, but it jumped back on and attacked the boy's head and throat, sheriff Michael Bouchard told WDIV-TV.
There was no negligence by the adults involved, who had no reason to think the dog would attack the baby unprovoked, Bouchard said.
The infant's 26-year-old father was injured while prying open the dog's jaws, Bouchard said.
The boy was taken to Genesys Regional Medical Center before being airlifted to William Beaumont Hospital in Royal Oak, where he died, authorities said.
Authorities said they planned to euthanize the dog, a 3½-year-old female that the family had owned for about two years. The dogs can reach weights between 40 and 90 pounds.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Boys in New York buried for hours in snow pile
- Sunlight reduces risk of nearsightedness in children, study suggests
- Ferguson-related unrest disrupts Black Friday shopping in several cities
- Homeless woman’s stun gun spurs 2nd Amendment case
- Bombers to train over Plains
- Maine State Prison draws Black Friday shoppers
- FBI uses journalists as bait for terrorists, escapee from Syrian group says
- Texan who targeted Mexican consulate in Austin killed in shootout with police
- Fissures begin to emerge among Dems
- Heart stent implanted, U.S. Supreme Court Justice Ginsburg goes home
- Justices consider social media, free speech