Pentagon: Benghazi suspect in U.S. custody
WASHINGTON — A Libyan militant suspected in the deadly attack on Americans in Benghazi has been captured and is in American custody, the Pentagon said Tuesday, marking the first time the U.S. has apprehended one of the alleged perpetrators.
Officials said Ahmed Abu Khattala, a senior leader of the Benghazi branch of the terror group Ansar al-Sharia in Libya, will be tried in U.S. court. He is currently being held in an undisclosed location.
Last year, the U.S. filed charges against Khattala and a number of others in a sealed complaint filed in U.S. District Court in Washington. However, until now, no one had been arrested in the September 2012 attack in which a group of militants set fire to the U.S. diplomatic mission in Benghazi, killing Ambassador Christopher Stevens and three other Americans.
The Obama administration has come under intense criticism from Republicans for being unable to apprehend those responsible for the attack.
The Pentagon said the U.S. military, in cooperation with law enforcement personnel, captured Khattala on Sunday. Officials said there were no civilian casualties related to the operation and all of the Americans involved have safely departed Libya.
His capture was first reported by The Washington Post.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- States ask judge not to lift stay in immigration lawsuit
- $4.8M in gold taken in armored truck hijacking in North Carolina
- Expanded background checks pushed again on gun show, Internet purchases
- Oil spill in Washington river endangers wildlife
- Tribune-Review poll: Cable news rises as network news falls
- Railroad measure awaits House approval
- GOP admits defeat as Congress approves Homeland funding
- Physicians’ organization cites shortages of doctors will grow, mostly in senior care
- Feds raid ‘maternity hotels’ in Ca.
- FDA orders warning on testosterone pills
- 8 shot to death, including gunman, in Missouri rampage