Trout, steelhead removed from Calif. hatcheries amid drought
SAN FRANCISCO — Workers evacuated rainbow trout on Tuesday from a hatchery on the American River as part of rescue efforts prompted by concerns that California's drought will increase water temperatures and kill the fish.
The state Department of Fish and Wildlife was using tanker trucks to remove trout from the American River Hatchery and have been taking fingerling steelhead from an adjacent hatchery, spokesman Andrew Hughan said.
The hatcheries are located about 20 miles east of Sacramento. The fish will be released at a much younger age and smaller size than usual.
The operation, which has been going on for several weeks, will continue on Wednesday. In total, about 2 million fish, including 430,000 fingerling steelhead, are being released months before they normally would.
“The set of circumstances dictated that we take this fairly drastic action,” Hughan said.
The evacuation is the latest effort to save fish during the dry conditions.
Millions of young Chinook salmon have been trucked to the ocean to spare them the dangers of migrating through depleted rivers and streams. In addition, state regulators have shut down recreational angling on portions of the American and Russian rivers because of concerns about salmon and steelhead trout.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Over 3 years, extended federal leave adds up to $775M
- Archaeologists sift through Everglades muck for history
- Expert: Stress level rises for Americans who forfeit vacation
- Wreckage of sunken WWII U-boat found off N.C. coast
- Accused head of violent Mexican cartel nabbed
- 5 airports to handle all U.S.-bound travelers from Ebola-stricken nations
- Panetta skipped CIA’s OK of book, potentially putting agency in delicate position with others
- Justice Department revamps cyber teams
- Man confesses to killing 7 women around Gary, Ind.; charges in other slayings possible
- Official’s job at cybersecurity firm vexes NSA
- Homeland Security orders new screening for Ebola