Conjoined twins celebrate milestone
CLEVELAND — The world's oldest conjoined twins on Saturday surpassed the life span of the historic “Siamese Twins” with a celebration in Ohio.
Donnie and Ronnie Galyon turned 62 years, 8 months and 8 days old, outliving Chang and Eng Bunker, conjoined twins who lived from 1811 to 1874.
The Bunkers were born in Siam, now Thailand.
A party for the Galyons is planned in their hometown of Dayton.
The Galyons are joined at the sternum and share organs, which became an issue four years ago when Ronnie was sick with a virus that affected Donnie's health.
The twins live with their younger brother Jim Galyon and his wife Mary.
Jim Galyon said his older brothers toured with their father, and at times seven other siblings, as a “human oddity” until the shows fell out of fashion in the 1970s.
They later traveled in Mexico and Latin America.
“They were on the road from 4 to 40,” Jim Galyon said. “They did their time.”
They aim to break the Guinness Book of World Records as the longest-living conjoined twins when they turn 63 in October, their brother said.
According to the Guinness website, the longest-living twins, Giacomo and Giovanni Battista Tocci of Italy, were born in 1877 and died at 63, he said.
“It has been their lifelong goal to reach this age,” Jim Galyon said.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- FBI agent, 2 others sentenced in contractor kickback scheme in Utah
- Christie rails against high N.J. estate tax
- Indiana governor wants changes to religious-objection law
- Benghazi panel formally requests private interview with Hillary
- Appalachian miners wiped out by coal glut they can’t reverse
- Obama vetoes union election bill; streamlined election process to move forward
- Federal agents charged with plundering online drug bazaar Silk Road
- Experts skeptical of N.D.’s new oil train safety checks
- American crash victims: U.S. government contractor, daughter
- $140M Picasso likely to set auction record
- Mining for tourists? A dubious economic savior in Appalachia