Man told transit police the Boston Marathon bomber 'was my best friend'
BOSTON — A man linked to a gun used to kill a university police officer days after the Boston Marathon bombings told police he smoked marijuana every day because, in his words, “my best friend was the bomber,” according to court documents.
Stephen Silva was arrested Monday on charges of heroin trafficking and possession of a handgun with an obliterated serial number. The same gun was used to kill MIT police Officer Sean Collier during a manhunt for the bombing suspects, according to two people with knowledge of the case who spoke to The Associated Press on the condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to discuss the investigation.
Silva, 21, was a high school classmate and a close friend of Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, a suspect in the April 2013 Boston Marathon bombings that killed three people and wounded more than 260. Collier, 26, was ambushed several days later and shot multiple times in his car.
Silva was arrested on marijuana charges at a train station in Boston's Dorchester neighborhood in November. According to court documents, after transit police found two bags of marijuana and a wad of $555 in cash in Silva's pockets, he repeatedly told them, “I smoke a lot of weed every day because my best friend was the bomber.”
Jonathan Shapiro, an attorney for Stephen Silva (pronounced STEF'-an) did not immediately return a call seeking comment Wednesday. On Tuesday, after Silva made his initial appearance in court, Shapiro said he had received the case only a few hours earlier.
Shapiro said in a statement that he was in the process of meeting with his client and reviewing evidence in the case.
According to the indictment, Silva received the gun in or around February 2013.
Silva was ordered to remain in custody, and a bail hearing was scheduled for Aug. 6.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Cafeteria worker tried to stop Washington school shooter
- Philadelphia Mafia figure returned to prison for meeting friend
- Test confirms remains are missing Virginia student’s
- 1686 shipwreck ‘like dinosaur’ being rebuilt for museum
- New York, New Jersey order 21-day quarantine of all in contact with Ebola virus
- Seattle area school homecoming ‘prince’ guns down classmates
- 2 California deputies slain, suspect captured
- Election picture looks less predictable with Ebola, ISIS on the table
- Congress examines NSA official’s part-time job
- Justice Department revamps cyber teams
- North Korea releases Ohio man detained for 6 months