Arkansas Air Force base lockdown ends with no 'credible' threat
JACKSONVILLE, Ark. — Military officials locked down an Arkansas air force base for several hours on Wednesday after reporting that a suspicious individual was on the sprawling complex near Little Rock, then reopened the base and said the threat was “no longer credible.”
During the lockdown, no one was allowed to enter or leave the base. Gates were closed and a line of vehicles stretched for a quarter-mile outside the base.
“We responded with the necessary caution to secure our airmen, their families and Air Force resources,” Col. Patrick Rhatigan, the 19th Airlift Wing commander, said in a statement. He apologized for the inconvenience but said it was necessary to ensure that the base and its military and civilian staff were safe.
Christina Rivera, whose husband is an airman on the base, said she'd received an automated phone call telling everyone on base to stay indoors. Rivera, who had been waiting outside the gate entrance for more than two hours at that point, said her husband was barricaded in their bedroom with their two children, who are 8 months and 18 months old.
“All I want is to go home and be with my husband and my kids,” she said.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Police to Waze: Not so fast on cop tracker, which they say makes it harder to catch speeders
- Arkansas rejects proposal to celebrate Gen. Lee, MLK on different days
- Pittsburgh travelers feel effects of Northeast blizzard
- Nuclear scientist gets 5-year prison term in plot to build bombs for Venezuela
- Treasure hunter accused of swindling investors captured
- Obama AG pick gets positive conservative marks
- Number of children on food stamps hits 6-year high
- DEA says scanning of license plates near gun shows off
- Blizzard howls its way into Boston but largely spares NYC
- Deadly fire in Maryland started in faulty electrical outlet, spread to Christmas tree
- Poll finds most Americans want health insurance subsidies restored if Supreme Court votes against Obamacare provision