Mom: I didn't know boy was dead until smell set in
HARRISBURG — A mother of six said she found out on Friday night that her 8-year-old son had died days before and that her husband had kept the death from her, Pennlive.com reported.
Kimberly Tutko said it was only when she noticed a strange odor coming from the third floor of her Harrisburg home that her husband went upstairs and returned with the body of their son wrapped in a sheet. Jarrod Tutko said the boy died on Tuesday.
She said her husband was the primary caretaker of their mentally disabled son, who was kept on the third floor.
Police charged Jarrod Tutko on Saturday with child endangerment, concealing the death of a child and abuse of a corpse.
The couple's other children, ages 13, 12, 10, 6 and 3 — several of whom suffer from serious medical conditions — have been placed in protective custody.
It's not clear how the boy died. An autopsy is scheduled.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- D.C. charges woman over armed protest
- New nuke carrier will arrive late, incomplete
- U.S. to arm Iraq’s Sunni tribesmen
- Locavore movement takes to deer hunting across country
- U.S. releases ‘forever prisoner’ from Gitmo
- Ferguson, Mo., grand jury to meet Monday, decide on possible indictment of police officer
- Former nuke commander linked to fake poker chips
- Bighorn sheep escapes Los Angeles Zoo
- Man sets house fire, kills deputy
- 3-mile buffer suggested for grouse breeding, oil and gas drilling
- Speaker Boehner vows House response to Obama’s immigration policy changes