Mom: I didn't know boy was dead until smell set in
HARRISBURG — A mother of six said she found out on Friday night that her 8-year-old son had died days before and that her husband had kept the death from her, Pennlive.com reported.
Kimberly Tutko said it was only when she noticed a strange odor coming from the third floor of her Harrisburg home that her husband went upstairs and returned with the body of their son wrapped in a sheet. Jarrod Tutko said the boy died on Tuesday.
She said her husband was the primary caretaker of their mentally disabled son, who was kept on the third floor.
Police charged Jarrod Tutko on Saturday with child endangerment, concealing the death of a child and abuse of a corpse.
The couple's other children, ages 13, 12, 10, 6 and 3 — several of whom suffer from serious medical conditions — have been placed in protective custody.
It's not clear how the boy died. An autopsy is scheduled.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Hillary email controversy reminiscent of 1996 episode
- Bullet-ridden dog tied to tracks saved in Florida
- Los Angeles rookie officer claims shooting victim grabbed his gun
- Hillary Clinton may have broken federal record-keeping laws, New York Times reports
- Business, conservative groups speak up for gay marriage as Supreme Court hearing nears
- Marathon blast survivor testifies to brush with bomber
- Feds weighed national standards but let North Dakota set regulations for oil trains’ safety
- Hung jury to let judge settle Arias sentence in former boyfriend’s slaying
- Latest winter blast strands airline passengers, motorists
- Weapon supply vulnerable to hackers, Pentagon official warns
- Florida woman wields a shotgun in forcing son to jump from window