Mom: I didn't know boy was dead until smell set in
HARRISBURG — A mother of six said she found out on Friday night that her 8-year-old son had died days before and that her husband had kept the death from her, Pennlive.com reported.
Kimberly Tutko said it was only when she noticed a strange odor coming from the third floor of her Harrisburg home that her husband went upstairs and returned with the body of their son wrapped in a sheet. Jarrod Tutko said the boy died on Tuesday.
She said her husband was the primary caretaker of their mentally disabled son, who was kept on the third floor.
Police charged Jarrod Tutko on Saturday with child endangerment, concealing the death of a child and abuse of a corpse.
The couple's other children, ages 13, 12, 10, 6 and 3 — several of whom suffer from serious medical conditions — have been placed in protective custody.
It's not clear how the boy died. An autopsy is scheduled.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Unaccompanied immigrants put heavy strain on schools, charities
- Ebola virus could overwhelm health care system, AP finds
- FBI plays IT ‘nerd’ card to con way into Vegas villa
- Murky Pentagon contract ends in guilty verdicts
- BP oil spill leaves jellied ‘bathtub ring’ on gulf’s seafloor
- Ethics office finds ‘substantial reason to believe’ Georgia Republican
- N.M. deputy allegedly said, ‘I shot the guy’
- Army quarantines returners from Liberia for exposure to Ebola virus
- Terminally ill Oregon woman makes last wishes
- 1st vaccine for deadly form of meningitis approved
- N.Y. mother decapitated