Mom: I didn't know boy was dead until smell set in
HARRISBURG — A mother of six said she found out on Friday night that her 8-year-old son had died days before and that her husband had kept the death from her, Pennlive.com reported.
Kimberly Tutko said it was only when she noticed a strange odor coming from the third floor of her Harrisburg home that her husband went upstairs and returned with the body of their son wrapped in a sheet. Jarrod Tutko said the boy died on Tuesday.
She said her husband was the primary caretaker of their mentally disabled son, who was kept on the third floor.
Police charged Jarrod Tutko on Saturday with child endangerment, concealing the death of a child and abuse of a corpse.
The couple's other children, ages 13, 12, 10, 6 and 3 — several of whom suffer from serious medical conditions — have been placed in protective custody.
It's not clear how the boy died. An autopsy is scheduled.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Ex-Cincy cop pleads not guilty, posts bond
- Piece of plant found on island on way to France for analysis
- Defense chief approves arming more troops at soft sites
- VA whistle-blowers aghast
- Highway bill on Obama’s desk extends funding 3 months
- Decomposing body left in car in Southern California for nearly 2 weeks
- Cruz switches targets, takes exception with IRS practices
- Feds accuse Philadelphia congressman Fattah of corruption
- Mich. high court strikes down mandatory fees for state employees in unions
- Planned Parenthood requests expert study
- New planet ‘closest thing’ to Earth