Mom: I didn't know boy was dead until smell set in
HARRISBURG — A mother of six said she found out on Friday night that her 8-year-old son had died days before and that her husband had kept the death from her, Pennlive.com reported.
Kimberly Tutko said it was only when she noticed a strange odor coming from the third floor of her Harrisburg home that her husband went upstairs and returned with the body of their son wrapped in a sheet. Jarrod Tutko said the boy died on Tuesday.
She said her husband was the primary caretaker of their mentally disabled son, who was kept on the third floor.
Police charged Jarrod Tutko on Saturday with child endangerment, concealing the death of a child and abuse of a corpse.
The couple's other children, ages 13, 12, 10, 6 and 3 — several of whom suffer from serious medical conditions — have been placed in protective custody.
It's not clear how the boy died. An autopsy is scheduled.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- VA Phoenix social worker on leave for Halloween costume
- Student dies in traditional Ohio State University lake jump
- Video prompts calls for probe of Chicago police
- Barrier nears completion in Indiana marsh to keep Asian carp from Great Lakes
- U.S. troops suspended in airstrike on Afghan hospital
- ‘Crisis mode’ near at U.S.-Mexico line as nearly 5,000 children try to cross border in October
- Obama signs $607B Defense bill but blasts GOP limits for Gitmo
- Ads for Nazi-themed show pulled from NYC subways
- U.S. has urged legal reforms abroad to block Islamic State recruits
- Foreign policy expert: Obama administration should create Syria safe areas
- Peanut glut poses hefty bailout tab for taxpayers