Mom: I didn't know boy was dead until smell set in
HARRISBURG — A mother of six said she found out on Friday night that her 8-year-old son had died days before and that her husband had kept the death from her, Pennlive.com reported.
Kimberly Tutko said it was only when she noticed a strange odor coming from the third floor of her Harrisburg home that her husband went upstairs and returned with the body of their son wrapped in a sheet. Jarrod Tutko said the boy died on Tuesday.
She said her husband was the primary caretaker of their mentally disabled son, who was kept on the third floor.
Police charged Jarrod Tutko on Saturday with child endangerment, concealing the death of a child and abuse of a corpse.
The couple's other children, ages 13, 12, 10, 6 and 3 — several of whom suffer from serious medical conditions — have been placed in protective custody.
It's not clear how the boy died. An autopsy is scheduled.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Edible pot ban proposed, yanked in Colorado
- Earth heads for record 2014
- Revised Ebola guidelines stress full gear, training
- GOP governors don’t see ‘Obamacare’ going away
- Navy civilian goes on trial for diverting $2M to brother of his boss
- High court will take case on gun ownership
- Over 3 years, extended federal leave adds up to $775M
- Indiana slaying suspect hints at more deaths
- Congress examines NSA official’s part-time job
- Crying suspect trapped in Calif. chimney, saved but arrested
- Suspect in Va. disappearance charged in rape