ShareThis Page

1st firefighters at Las Vegas massacre came across it by chance

| Friday, Oct. 6, 2017, 7:57 a.m.
Clark County Fire Department engineer Brian Emery stands by one of his agency's Mass Casualty Incident vehicles in Las Vegas on Thursday, Oct. 5, 2017. Emery was driving a traditional fire engine the night of the shooting when his crew wound up being among the first on duty emergency workers to arrive at the scene on Sunday. The four members of the crew treated some 30 people with a range of injuries from shortly after 10 p.m. until after sunrise Monday. A gunman opened fire on an outdoor country music concert on Sunday killing dozens and injuring hundreds. (AP Photo/Anita Snow)
Clark County Fire Department engineer Brian Emery stands by one of his agency's Mass Casualty Incident vehicles in Las Vegas on Thursday, Oct. 5, 2017. Emery was driving a traditional fire engine the night of the shooting when his crew wound up being among the first on duty emergency workers to arrive at the scene on Sunday. The four members of the crew treated some 30 people with a range of injuries from shortly after 10 p.m. until after sunrise Monday. A gunman opened fire on an outdoor country music concert on Sunday killing dozens and injuring hundreds. (AP Photo/Anita Snow)

LAS VEGAS — Fire engineer Brian Emery was driving his station's engine back from a call for a minor car crash when hundreds of hysterical people began swarming the vehicle near an outdoor country music festival in Las Vegas.

“Then, suddenly, we heard automatic gunfire,” Emery recalled Thursday after his crew became the first to respond to the deadliest shooting in modern American history.

It was pure coincidence that the Clark County Fire Department crew members on Engine 11 — Emery, team leader Capt. Ken O'Shaughnessy and two firefighters, including a rookie — were the first on-duty emergency personnel to arrive Sunday night.

Emery said the surge of people forced him to stop the firetruck just a few blocks from the outdoor venue where Stephen Paddock unleashed gunfire from the 32nd floor of the Mandalay Bay hotel and casino just after 10 p.m.

“There were so many people around us, initially I couldn't drive out of there,” Emery said.

Finally, there was a break in the crush of people and he inched the engine to a parking area. The crew began treating patients brought by concertgoers, which including off-duty emergency workers.

“After my 15 years as a paramedic, it was just automatic,” he said. “You just go to work and do what you know how to do.”

Over the next hours, the crew treated some 30 people with a range of injuries, including those who had been stepped on and crushed in the frantic crowd but largely gunshot victims struck by high-caliber fire.

They put the wounded in whatever vehicles passed by — patrol cars or private vehicles.

Meanwhile, the Clark County Fire Department started getting the first of 32 calls from multiple locations about people with gunshot wounds — from different hotels in the area, hospitals, a restaurant.

Fire Chief Greg Cassell said it took dispatchers a few minutes to understand that all the calls were connected to the same incident, “so that complicated our response.”

Cassell said that some 160 fire personnel arrived before long. Some, like Deputy Fire Chief Joe Klassen, were called in from home, in his case awakened by text messages from the department and a frantic call from an ambulance driver friend. Once there, he helped lead arriving teams on the ground.

“Fortunately, I had my uniform pressed and ready for Monday morning,” he said.

After setting up, Klassen said many off-duty firefighters and police officers approached him to offer help, hailing from places such as California, New Mexico and New York.

Emery's engine crew, meanwhile, kept working on the wounded until after the sun came up, heading back to their station just 400 feet from the iconic Las Vegas sign around 7 a.m.

TribLIVE commenting policy

You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.

We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.

While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.

We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers

We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.

We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.

We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.

We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.