Security team extended stay
WASHINGTON — The U.S. Embassy in Tripoli, Libya, requested — and received — a four-month extension of a 16-member security team, a February request that showed how dangerous the situation in the country had become for American diplomats.
The commander of the security team, Lt. Col. Andrew Wood, said that slain Ambassador J. Christopher Stevens had wanted the team to stay even longer — past the end of its extended deployment in August. But the State Department said a request for a second extension was never made.
Stevens and three other Americans were killed in an attack on U.S. diplomatic facilities in Benghazi, Libya, on Sept. 11.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Leaders mark Auschwitz liberation 70 years on without Putin
- Luxury Libyan hotel attacked by terrorists
- Jordan agrees to ISIS swap, releasing suicide bomber to get pilot back
- Cuba lays out list of demands for improved relations
- Leaders decry apparent murder
- ISIS affiliate claims hotel bombing in Libya that killed 10, including American
- Leader of Venezuelan congress denies bodyguard’s allegations
- Slaughter of rhinos hit 1,215 last year
- British Ebola patient discharged from hospital after recovery
- Ukraine: Phone calls prove Russia-backed rebels attacked Mariupol, killed 30
- Colombians celebrate Miss Universe title