Holloway suspect reportedly going to be a father
LIMA, Peru — A newspaper reported on Monday that Joran van der Sloot, a Dutch man who is serving a 28-year-sentence for murdering a young Peruvian woman, says he is going to be a father. His attorney said the inmate does have a conjugal visitor, though he could not confirm she that is pregnant.
The Dutch newspaper De Telegraaf said Van der Sloot, a suspect in the 2005 disappearance of U.S. teenager Natalee Holloway, himself told it in a telephone call on Saturday that “a test has proved” the pregnancy.
Van der Sloot's attorney Maximo Altez, said that a woman named Leidy Figueroa Uceda “is registered as a conjugal visitor of Joran. She is registered in the visitors books of the Piedras Gordas prison in Lima.” He denied, however, that he had told the newspaper he could confirm the pregnancy.
“I told them I didn't know anything in that respect,” he said.
News media in Peru last year identified Figueroa as Van der Sloot's girlfriend, and said they had conceived a son together, but she denied it.
De Telegraaf said Van der Sloot told it that the woman uses the birth control pill but had apparently forgotten to take it and she would not have an abortion due to her Catholic faith.
He said he didn't have DNA proof the child is his, but he believes it to be.
Van der Sloot is a self-described liar, having confessed to killing Holloway and later retracting the confessions.
He is the last person known to have seen her alive.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Kurdish forces fight back, but new strategy could hinder resistance
- Divide between mainstream French, poor Muslims evident in terror reaction
- Civilians killed in fighting in separatist-held Donetsk, Ukraine
- ISIS affiliate claims hotel bombing in Libya that killed 10, including American
- Parole granted to leader of apartheid death squad
- Islamic State group pushed out of Syria’s Kobani
- Islamic State forces chased from Syrian Kurdish city
- Ex-Russian spy Litvinenko poisoned twice, lawyer says
- Jordan agrees to ISIS swap, releasing suicide bomber to get pilot back
- 3 American contractors killed in apparent Afghan ‘insider attack’
- Have another baby, Chinese officials coax couples