'Everything is going well' for Chavez after cancer surgery
CARACAS — Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez was recovering after a successful cancer operation in Cuba, his vice president said on Tuesday.
Vice President Nicolas Maduro said the surgery was both “complex” and successful. Maduro made the announcement on Venezuelan television, flanked by other Chavez aides and military commanders.
It was the fourth cancer-related operation that Chavez has undergone since June 2011.
Three days before the surgery, Chavez had announced that he needed to have surgery again after tests showed “some malignant cells” had reappeared in the same area of his pelvic region where tumors had been removed.
During the surgery, close Chavez ally Tareck El Aissami had said on television: “Everything is going well.”
On the streets of Caracas, Venezuelans on both sides of the country's deep political divide voiced concerns about Chavez's condition and what might happen if he ultimately doesn't survive his illness.
“It's difficult to think about Venezuela without Chavez,” said Rafael Perdomo, a mechanic who has supported the president since 1998, when he first ran for the presidency. “I fear that we, the poor, could lose everything if Chavez dies.”
Chavez recently said for the first time that if his illness cuts short his presidency, Maduro should take his place and be elected president to continue on with his socialist movement. But Perdomo said he doesn't trust Maduro the way he trusts Chavez.
Other Venezuelans said while they're sorry about Chavez's health situation and wish him the best, it isn't a particular concern for them. Many were out buying Christmas gifts and shopping for food as they prepared for the holiday season.
“I'm sorry about what is happening to the president, but for many of us, life goes on,” said Maria Colmenares, a housewife and opposition supporter.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.
We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.
While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.
We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers.
We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.
We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.
We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.
We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.
- Lack of money may crush ISIS
- Ukraine aims to ride reform to European Union
- OPEC to maintain crude oil output target
- U.S. military shifts strategy to smaller Iraq force
- Mexico targets local corruption
- Egypt’s fixation on dictator Mubarak trial wanes
- Bus station blast kills 40 in Nigeria
- 5 terror plots foiled, London police say
- Brits blame web services in soldier’s death