McCartney, 'God particle' scientist honored by Queen Elizabeth
By The Tribune-Review
Published: Friday, Dec. 28, 2012, 10:02 p.m.
LONDON — Stella McCartney, who designed the uniforms worn by Britain's record-smashing Olympic team, and Scottish physicist Peter Higgs, who gave his name to the “God particle,” are among the hundreds being honored by Queen Elizabeth II this New Year.
The list is particularly heavy with Britain's Olympic heroes, but it includes “Star Wars” actor Ewan McGregor and eccentric English singer Kate Bush. All of Britain's gold medalists from this year's games were on the list. Cyclist Bradley Wiggins will be knighted.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- 12 killed, 3 missing in avalanche on Mt. Everest
- Expert witness for Pistorius blistered again
- Chaos prevailed on bridge as South Korean ferry listed, crewman says
- Putin’s national address to Russians raises fears of possible incursion into southeastern Ukraine
- Afghan officials say detainment of Taliban commander thwarts peace process
- Seabed data analyzed; oil discounted
- U.S. to release $450M for Iran
- People’s Republic of Donetsk: 1 government building in eastern Ukraine city
- Missing plane’s black box batteries feared to have died
- Ukraine leaders fuel resentment in reluctant east