McCartney, 'God particle' scientist honored by Queen Elizabeth
LONDON — Stella McCartney, who designed the uniforms worn by Britain's record-smashing Olympic team, and Scottish physicist Peter Higgs, who gave his name to the “God particle,” are among the hundreds being honored by Queen Elizabeth II this New Year.
The list is particularly heavy with Britain's Olympic heroes, but it includes “Star Wars” actor Ewan McGregor and eccentric English singer Kate Bush. All of Britain's gold medalists from this year's games were on the list. Cyclist Bradley Wiggins will be knighted.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Shiia militias in Iraq say they have assurances U.S. will stop strikes
- Antarctica yields life in extremest of conditions, so what about on another planet?
- Co-pilot in Germanwings Alps crash treated for suicidal tendencies
- Airstrike hits aid camp for displaced in Yemen, kills dozens
- Iran blames U.S. drone for killing military advisers in Iraq
- ‘Substantial’ roadblocks remain as nuclear talks with Iran go down to wire
- Leaders wary of vote-rigging in Nigeria
- France opens black box, hoping to unlock jet crash mystery
- Copilot’s friends doubt Germanwings crash intentional
- German pilot visited glider field near crash site as a child
- Impasse remains in Iran nuke talks