McCartney, 'God particle' scientist honored by Queen Elizabeth
LONDON — Stella McCartney, who designed the uniforms worn by Britain's record-smashing Olympic team, and Scottish physicist Peter Higgs, who gave his name to the “God particle,” are among the hundreds being honored by Queen Elizabeth II this New Year.
The list is particularly heavy with Britain's Olympic heroes, but it includes “Star Wars” actor Ewan McGregor and eccentric English singer Kate Bush. All of Britain's gold medalists from this year's games were on the list. Cyclist Bradley Wiggins will be knighted.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Comets hold life building blocks
- Al-Qaida group in Syria targeted by U.S.-led coalition airstrikes
- Senate to grill United Nations agency chief Amano on Iran nuclear pact
- Experimental Ebola vaccine could stop virus in West Africa
- Israelis remember how summer conflict affected beach ritual
- NATO proclaims ‘strong solidarity’ with Turkey against IS
- Debris on French island possibly that of missing Malaysia Airlines flight
- Exiled Yemen leader orders anti-rebel fighters to merge with army to battle Houthis
- Extremist strikes again in attack on gay parade in Jerusalem
- India hangs man who raised funds in support of 1993’s deadly Mumbai bombings
- China says U.S. trying to militarize South China Sea