McCartney, 'God particle' scientist honored by Queen Elizabeth
LONDON — Stella McCartney, who designed the uniforms worn by Britain's record-smashing Olympic team, and Scottish physicist Peter Higgs, who gave his name to the “God particle,” are among the hundreds being honored by Queen Elizabeth II this New Year.
The list is particularly heavy with Britain's Olympic heroes, but it includes “Star Wars” actor Ewan McGregor and eccentric English singer Kate Bush. All of Britain's gold medalists from this year's games were on the list. Cyclist Bradley Wiggins will be knighted.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Russia acts to stanch ruble’s plummet
- Bad day for Israel: U.N. criticizes West Bank settlements; Hamas off EU terror list
- Kurdish Iraqi forces battle ISIS to try to clear way to Syrian border
- Grief in Pakistan over school rampage turns to anger toward military
- Russia acts to stanch plummet of ruble’s value
- Hope for better days in Pakistan shattered in school attack
- Air traffic control center computer failure cancels flights in London
- Taliban siege at Pakistani school ends with 141 dead
- 2 decades on, Serbs held in Muslim deaths
- Cuba hip-hop mission ‘just plain stupid’
- FBI issues alert on Iranian hackers