McCartney, 'God particle' scientist honored by Queen Elizabeth
LONDON — Stella McCartney, who designed the uniforms worn by Britain's record-smashing Olympic team, and Scottish physicist Peter Higgs, who gave his name to the “God particle,” are among the hundreds being honored by Queen Elizabeth II this New Year.
The list is particularly heavy with Britain's Olympic heroes, but it includes “Star Wars” actor Ewan McGregor and eccentric English singer Kate Bush. All of Britain's gold medalists from this year's games were on the list. Cyclist Bradley Wiggins will be knighted.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Iran executes woman who claimed man she killed had tried to rape her
- Iraq: Key town taken from Islamic State
- Israelis label relations with U.S. ‘critical,’ lament state of ‘crisis’
- Pakistan coup fails to make finish line as parliament backs Prime Minister Sharif
- Barricaded lawmakers fashioned ‘spears’ from flag poles in attack on Canada’s Parliament Hill
- Mussolini’s air raid shelter opens
- Hong Kong protesters to vote
- 16 killed in China coal mine shaft collapse
- As oil prices fall, fear rises in Venezuela
- Attack on Egypt army post in Sinai peninsula kills 30 troops
- Miss Uganda hopefuls get dirty in agriculture phase of contest