McCartney, 'God particle' scientist honored by Queen Elizabeth
LONDON — Stella McCartney, who designed the uniforms worn by Britain's record-smashing Olympic team, and Scottish physicist Peter Higgs, who gave his name to the “God particle,” are among the hundreds being honored by Queen Elizabeth II this New Year.
The list is particularly heavy with Britain's Olympic heroes, but it includes “Star Wars” actor Ewan McGregor and eccentric English singer Kate Bush. All of Britain's gold medalists from this year's games were on the list. Cyclist Bradley Wiggins will be knighted.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Nasal cells help paralyzed man make history by walking
- U.S. losing drug war in Afghanistan despite $7.6B eradication effort, inspector general reports
- Rock of ages put on display in Israel
- NATO chases Russian aircraft
- Olympic athlete Pistorius given 5-year prison sentence
- ISIS claims it grabs U.S. military ware
- Fatal attack on soldier in Quebec ‘terrorist act’
- French oil CEO killed when private jet collides with snowplow during takeoff in Moscow
- Loophole rewards expelled Nazi suspects with Social Security benefits
- Iran acts to comply with interim nuclear deal with world powers, IAEA says
- ‘Soldier’s soldier’ Army Gen. Austin leads war on ISIS terrorists