Cat used in Brazil prison smuggling attempt
By The Associated Press
Published: Saturday, Jan. 5, 2013, 2:44 p.m.
SAO PAULO — Guards thought there was something suspicious about a little white cat slipping through a prison gate in northeastern Brazil. A prison official says that when they caught the animal, they found a cellphone, drills, small saws and other contraband taped to its body.
Alagoas state prisons spokeswoman Cinthya Moreno says that the cat was caught New Year's Eve at the medium-security prison in the city of Arapiraca.
The O Estado de S. Paulo newspaper reported Saturday that all of the prison's 263 inmates are suspects in the smuggling attempt, though it says a prison spokesman said "It will be hard to discover who is responsible since the cat does not speak."
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Egypt strikes a perilous repose
- Study: Afghan copter choice not best
- Mexico may open up oil production
- Defense Secretary Hagel skips visit with Afghan President Karzai
- Becoming extra wife is fantasy in Kazakhstan
- Protesters rip fences, Chevron’s plans
- Iran presses ahead with uranium
- Autobahn toll plan attracts backlash
- Taste of free enterprise whets Cubans’ appetite
- Bali summit yields global trade deal
- Sentences reduced for 14 female protesters in Egypt