TribLIVE

| USWorld


 
Larger text Larger text Smaller text Smaller text | Order Photo Reprints

Pakistan sacks provincial government

About The Tribune-Review
The Tribune-Review can be reached via e-mail or at 412-321-6460.
Contact Us | Video | Photo Reprints

Daily Photo Galleries


By The Associated Press

Published: Sunday, Jan. 13, 2013, 9:18 p.m.

QUETTA, Pakistan — Pakistani leaders dismissed the government of southwest Baluchistan province early Monday in response to the demands of protesters angry about an attack on minority Shiite Muslims there that killed 86 people.

In another part of the country, a roadside bomb killed 14 Pakistani soldiers.

During the past three days, thousands of Shiites have blocked a main road in the Baluchistan capital of Quetta with dozens of coffins of relatives killed in the twin bombing of a billiards hall in the city on Thursday. They demanded the provincial government be dismissed and that the army take over responsibility for the city.

Last year was the deadliest ever for Shiites in Pakistan, with more than 400 dead in targeted killings. Violence has been especially intense in Baluchistan, home of the largest number of Shiites in the country.

Pakistani Prime Minister Raja Pervaiz Ashraf said in a televised address that the governor has been made head of Baluchistan province, replacing the chief minister. Paramilitary forces will receive police powers and start an operation against militants behind the billiards hall attack.

The prime minister flew to Quetta on Sunday when other efforts to pacify the protesters failed. Human rights organizations have accused the Pakistani government of not doing enough to protect Shiites targeted by radical Sunni Muslims who believe they are heretics.

The billiards hall attack was carried out by Lashkar-e-Jhangvi, a sectarian militant group allied with al-Qaida and the Pakistani Taliban.

Taliban militants and their allies have been waging a bloody insurgency against the Pakistani government during the past several years.

A roadside bomb hit a Pakistani army convoy Sunday in a mountainous militant stronghold in the northwest, killing 14 soldiers, one of the deadliest attacks against the army in that sector, intelligence officials said.

The North Waziristan tribal area is a major trouble spot that the military has been reluctant to tackle. The remote region is home to Pakistani Taliban and al-Qaida militants at war with the government. It is used as a sanctuary by other militants who have focused their attacks in neighboring Afghanistan.

The attack occurred near Dosalli village in North Waziristan, said Pakistani intelligence officials. The blast destroyed two vehicles and damaged a third, they said.

The 14 dead and 20 wounded were brought to a military hospital in the nearby town of Miran Shah, the officials said.

Pakistani military officials confirmed the bombing but said four soldiers were killed and 11 others wounded. The discrepancy could not immediately be reconciled.

 

 
 


Show commenting policy

Most-Read World

  1. U.S. drone strike in Yemen kills suspected al-Qaida militants
  2. Third mate unfamiliar with waters where South Korean ferry sank
  3. Holocaust survivors taxed, student finds in search of Amsterdam city archives
  4. French journalists freed from captivity in Syria
  5. Fiat and Chrysler to build Jeep models in China
  6. South Korean ferry captain arrested; crew’s actions faulted in sinking
  7. French sweep school’s males for DNA to try to solve rape
  8. Russia quiets Voice of America
  9. In Egypt, government watchdog Genena hit by backlash in uncovering corruption
  10. Murder case against 9-month-old boy dropped
  11. Syrian regime, rebels trade blame in chemical attack in Kfar Zeita
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.