Russian crime boss killed
By The Washington Post
Published: Wednesday, January 16, 2013, 9:50 p.m.
Updated: Tuesday, February 19, 2013
MOSCOW — One of Russia's biggest criminal bosses — call him the country's Don Corleone of “The Godfather” — was gunned down Wednesday in the center of Moscow as he left his favorite hangout surrounded by bodyguards.
Aslan Usoyan, a 75-year-old gangster known as Grandpa Khasan, was hit by a sniper perched on the sixth floor of an apartment building. Usoyan was shot in the head with a round from a silenced rifle, the Russian Investigative Committee said in a statement. He died at a hospital, leaving behind a nephew whom he was grooming for succession and the prospect of a bloody turf war.
Usoyan controlled prostitution, construction and all manner of protection rackets in Moscow and a wide swath of Russia, according to Mark Galeotti, a New York University professor who has studied the Russian mob for 20 years. The crime boss reportedly had a stranglehold over Sochi, home of the 2014 Winter Olympics, to the envy of the underworld.
Although Usoyan confined his criminal activity to the former Soviet Union, some of his close associates went farther afield. Last year, the Treasury Department put five of them on a list of transnational criminals belonging to a group considered a threat to the United States. The five were named under an executive order that allows seizure of their assets in the United States and essentially prevents them from banking in dollars anywhere.
- N. Korea fires 3 guided missiles
- Pontiff dips into politics
- Syria’s Assad says he’ll ‘face storm’
- Afghan women’s rights suffer setback
- Sacre bleu! French in uproar over plan for courses in English
- Danish teen finds rare Viking coins
- Venezuela’s military sent into high-crime slums
- 813 Italians made saints by Francis
- Egypt’s Mubarak talks for 1st time since detention, or does he?
- Deadly bomb hits in Benghazi
- Part of Nigeria under state of emergency because of rebellion
You must be signed in to add comments
To comment, click the Sign in or sign up at the very top of this page.
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.