FBI director in Libya for Benghazi probe update
TRIPOLI, Libya — The FBI director met with top Libyan officials on Thursday to discuss the probe into last year's killing of the U.S. ambassador in Benghazi,where authorities are planning a curfew in response to an upsurge in violence, Libyan officials said.
Ambassador Chris Stevens and three other Americans were killed on Sept. 11, 2012 in an attack that Washington officials suspect was carried out by militants linked to the al-Qaida terrorist group. There has been little news of progress in the investigation, and U.S. officials have complained about poor cooperation with governments in the region.
The officials, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said FBI Director Robert Mueller discussed the case in Tripoli with senior officials, including the prime minister, justice minister and intelligence chief.
It is unclear when authorities plan to impose a curfew over a string of deadly attacks, assassinations of top security officials and other unrest in recent months. Libyan Prime Minister Ali Zidan said that 18,000 new police recruits would be dispatched to the city to enforce the curfew.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- New parties shake up politics around Spain
- Malaysian authorities find mass graves, link them to human trafficking
- Women’s walk across Koreas’ DMZ denied; they cross by bus
- ISIS solidifies grip on Syrian town of Palmyra
- Dozens dead in gunfight on Mexico ranch
- Ireland voters expected to OK gay marriage
- Officials claim world duty to Mideast at international forum
- Eiffel Tower temporarily shut down as employees walk out
- Burundi opposition figure Feruzi shot dead in capital
- Pope canonizes two Palestinian nuns
- Secretary of State Kerry to reassure South Korea on security