Russia ends 10-year pact with U.S. to combat crimes
MOSCOW — Russia pulled out of an anti-crime accord with the United States on Wednesday in a move that the United States calls“self-defeating” — the latest sign of rising tensions between the two nations.
Prime Minister Dmitry Medvedev signed an order to scrap the 10-year-old agreement “because it was no longer relevant,” his office said.
The agreement covered fighting terrorism, corruption and cross-border crimes, such as drug smuggling and human trafficking.
Alexei Pushkov, head of Russia's parliamentary foreign affairs committee, said the decision reflects Russia's ability to manage its affairs without outside help.
“Russia is changing the format of its relations with the U.S.,” he tweeted. “We are ending our dependence on ‘the country No. 1.' ”
The Foreign Ministry expressed gratitude to the United States for providing $12 million in aid for crime-fighting projects under the accord.
“From a recipient of Western aid for anti-crime projects, Russia has turned into a donor for such programs in Central Asian nations and Afghanistan,” the ministry said, adding that Russia is ready to continue cooperation in fighting crime, including drug-trafficking.
The agreement is just one of several bilateral cooperation deals that Russia has decided to abandon.
Last year, it expelled the U.S. Agency for International Development and warned it won't extend the Nunn-Lugar program helping it dismantle nuclear, chemicals and biological weapons stockpiles.
Faced with street protests against his 12-year rule, President Vladimir Putin accuses the State Department of staging the protests in order to weaken Russia.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.
We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.
While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.
We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers.
We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.
We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.
We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.
We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.
- Bandits in Guinea steal suspected Ebola blood
- Annual global obesity costs rise to $2T
- United Arab Emirates brands Muslim Brotherhood terrorists
- Egypt making slow progress on genital mutilation
- What did Romans eat? Sewers yield ancient clues
- Islamic State terrorists behead 3rd American
- Latest beheading video tries to portray global base of jihadists
- Coal corruption scandal saps enthusiasm for eastern Ukraine rebels
- Israeli mayor suspends jobs of some Arabs, citing synagogue attack
- North Korea threatens to resume nuclear tests