Man charged in killing of 3, injuring 11 in Guam
HAGATNA, Guam — A man accused of killing three people and injuring 11 after crashing his car and stabbing people in a major tourist district in Guam was arrested on suspicion of murder and attempted murder, police said on Wednesday.
The Pacific Daily News reports that police have arrested 21-year-old Chad Ryan Desoto of Tamuning.
The wreck and alleged knife attack on Tuesday night at a shopping area at the Outrigger Guam Resort sent frightened hotel guests fleeing for safety.
Fire officials said 14 people were taken to Guam Memorial Hospital.
Antonio Mura, a spokesman for the Guam Visitor Bureau, said an initial report from Guam police indicated the victims were Japanese visitors. The agency sent Japanese language interpreters to the hospital to help.
Guam Gov. Eddie Calvo issued a statement addressed to “the people of Japan” saying the perpetrator would be prosecuted “to the fullest extent of the law.” Calvo said he is committed to ensuring the safety of visitors to Guam and would increase police presence.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Employees of Mercer County-based manufacturer among missing in Nepal
- More than 2,500 confirmed dead in Nepal earthquake
- Mexicans pin hopes on anti-corruption measures approved by Congress
- Military draftees ignore Ukraine’s call to arms
- Italy marks anniversary of its rebellion against fascism
- Deadly earthquake devastates Nepal, triggers Mount Everest avalanche
- Nepal quake: More than 1,800 dead, history razed, Everest shaken
- Man who landed drone on Japanese PM’s office surrenders
- Australians, Kiwis mark centenary of bloody battle
- U.S.-backed rebels seize town, cut off land supply route to Assad forces in Syria
- Fighting, gasoline shortage intensify Yemen crisis