Man charged in killing of 3, injuring 11 in Guam
HAGATNA, Guam — A man accused of killing three people and injuring 11 after crashing his car and stabbing people in a major tourist district in Guam was arrested on suspicion of murder and attempted murder, police said on Wednesday.
The Pacific Daily News reports that police have arrested 21-year-old Chad Ryan Desoto of Tamuning.
The wreck and alleged knife attack on Tuesday night at a shopping area at the Outrigger Guam Resort sent frightened hotel guests fleeing for safety.
Fire officials said 14 people were taken to Guam Memorial Hospital.
Antonio Mura, a spokesman for the Guam Visitor Bureau, said an initial report from Guam police indicated the victims were Japanese visitors. The agency sent Japanese language interpreters to the hospital to help.
Guam Gov. Eddie Calvo issued a statement addressed to “the people of Japan” saying the perpetrator would be prosecuted “to the fullest extent of the law.” Calvo said he is committed to ensuring the safety of visitors to Guam and would increase police presence.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- FIFA rocked as U.S. indicts 14 in corruption investigation
- Popular tourist spot attacked in Afghanistan
- China orders U.S. plane to divert from airspace over islands in South China Sea
- Guatemala interior minister resigns amid political crisis
- Burundi opposition figure Feruzi shot dead in capital
- Americans with taste for mojitos flock to Havana
- Relentless heat wave kills more than 1,000 in India
- Saudi aerial offensive pummels Yemen capital
- 4 Taliban attackers killed in Kabul siege
- Britain’s pro-EU side happy with wording of referendum
- U.S. senator in Cuba says normal relations ‘weeks away’