Man charged in killing of 3, injuring 11 in Guam
By The Associated Press
Published: Tuesday, February 12, 2013, 9:24 p.m.
Updated: Wednesday, February 20, 2013
HAGATNA, Guam — A man accused of killing three people and injuring 11 after crashing his car and stabbing people in a major tourist district in Guam was arrested on suspicion of murder and attempted murder, police said on Wednesday.
The Pacific Daily News reports that police have arrested 21-year-old Chad Ryan Desoto of Tamuning.
The wreck and alleged knife attack on Tuesday night at a shopping area at the Outrigger Guam Resort sent frightened hotel guests fleeing for safety.
Fire officials said 14 people were taken to Guam Memorial Hospital.
Antonio Mura, a spokesman for the Guam Visitor Bureau, said an initial report from Guam police indicated the victims were Japanese visitors. The agency sent Japanese language interpreters to the hospital to help.
Guam Gov. Eddie Calvo issued a statement addressed to “the people of Japan” saying the perpetrator would be prosecuted “to the fullest extent of the law.” Calvo said he is committed to ensuring the safety of visitors to Guam and would increase police presence.
- Friend of man accused in soldier's death arrested at BBC after interview
- Christian preacher tests Vietnam’s censors
- Aid group attacked by Taliban, leading to street battle in Kabul
- 2 arrested after UK fighter jet scrambles to divert civilian plane
- Slain British soldier’s family thought he was safe in U.K.
- North Korean letter to China signals rapprochement
- Kerry: Tehran impedes election
- Afghan women’s rights suffer setback
- Sacre bleu! French in uproar over plan for courses in English
- North Korea fires projectile into eastern waters, 4th test in 2 days
- Pakistan repeats vote despite killing
You must be signed in to add comments
To comment, click the Sign in or sign up at the very top of this page.
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.