Man charged in killing of 3, injuring 11 in Guam
HAGATNA, Guam — A man accused of killing three people and injuring 11 after crashing his car and stabbing people in a major tourist district in Guam was arrested on suspicion of murder and attempted murder, police said on Wednesday.
The Pacific Daily News reports that police have arrested 21-year-old Chad Ryan Desoto of Tamuning.
The wreck and alleged knife attack on Tuesday night at a shopping area at the Outrigger Guam Resort sent frightened hotel guests fleeing for safety.
Fire officials said 14 people were taken to Guam Memorial Hospital.
Antonio Mura, a spokesman for the Guam Visitor Bureau, said an initial report from Guam police indicated the victims were Japanese visitors. The agency sent Japanese language interpreters to the hospital to help.
Guam Gov. Eddie Calvo issued a statement addressed to “the people of Japan” saying the perpetrator would be prosecuted “to the fullest extent of the law.” Calvo said he is committed to ensuring the safety of visitors to Guam and would increase police presence.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Ukraine rejects Russia’s call for cease-fire, warns of ‘great war’ against Russian aggressor
- British terror suspects may be stripped of passports
- Detained Americans plead U.S. for assistance
- Dozens in Boko Haram reportedly killed as Nigeria repels attack
- Pressure on European Central Bank grows as economic recovery founders
- Pakistani premier may be forced out as protests turn violent
- Afghan power-sharing deal breaks down
- Ex-Libyan PM tasked with forming new government
- Israel, Hamas accept Gaza war cease-fire
- ‘Holocaust T-shirt’ for kids discontinued in Spain
- China tells U.S. to cut back surveillance