Man charged in killing of 3, injuring 11 in Guam
HAGATNA, Guam — A man accused of killing three people and injuring 11 after crashing his car and stabbing people in a major tourist district in Guam was arrested on suspicion of murder and attempted murder, police said on Wednesday.
The Pacific Daily News reports that police have arrested 21-year-old Chad Ryan Desoto of Tamuning.
The wreck and alleged knife attack on Tuesday night at a shopping area at the Outrigger Guam Resort sent frightened hotel guests fleeing for safety.
Fire officials said 14 people were taken to Guam Memorial Hospital.
Antonio Mura, a spokesman for the Guam Visitor Bureau, said an initial report from Guam police indicated the victims were Japanese visitors. The agency sent Japanese language interpreters to the hospital to help.
Guam Gov. Eddie Calvo issued a statement addressed to “the people of Japan” saying the perpetrator would be prosecuted “to the fullest extent of the law.” Calvo said he is committed to ensuring the safety of visitors to Guam and would increase police presence.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Canada’s PM says shooting rampage was terrorism
- Canadians more fearful, aware after ‘very rare’ attack in Ottawa
- Abbas seems desperate in round of belligerent rhetoric
- Libyan troops seek to retake Benghazi
- Iraqi Kurds to send fighters to aid Kobani
- Loophole rewards expelled Nazi suspects with Social Security benefits
- Lone gunman kills monument guard, attacks Canada’s Parliament
- Egypt’s airstrikes on Benghazi might make Libya worse, analysts warn
- Nigeria, Boko Haram agree to cease-fire
- Russia, Ukraine leaders signal progress in talks on peace, gas
- Kurdish militia regains ground in Kobani