Man charged in killing of 3, injuring 11 in Guam
HAGATNA, Guam — A man accused of killing three people and injuring 11 after crashing his car and stabbing people in a major tourist district in Guam was arrested on suspicion of murder and attempted murder, police said on Wednesday.
The Pacific Daily News reports that police have arrested 21-year-old Chad Ryan Desoto of Tamuning.
The wreck and alleged knife attack on Tuesday night at a shopping area at the Outrigger Guam Resort sent frightened hotel guests fleeing for safety.
Fire officials said 14 people were taken to Guam Memorial Hospital.
Antonio Mura, a spokesman for the Guam Visitor Bureau, said an initial report from Guam police indicated the victims were Japanese visitors. The agency sent Japanese language interpreters to the hospital to help.
Guam Gov. Eddie Calvo issued a statement addressed to “the people of Japan” saying the perpetrator would be prosecuted “to the fullest extent of the law.” Calvo said he is committed to ensuring the safety of visitors to Guam and would increase police presence.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Egypt, sans parliament for more than 3 years, sets elections
- Migrant surge: Europe ill-prepared for invasion of foreigners
- Fire at Saudi oil company residence kills 11
- Al-Jazeera English journalists head to prison in Egypt
- Malaysia Prime Minister Najib scorns thousands demanding his resignation
- 200 feared dead in latest migrant disaster off Libya’s coast
- Ukrainian filmmaker gets 20 years for conspiracy to commit terror attacks
- Corpses in truck on Austrian road thought to be smuggled refugees
- Vatican priest accused of child sex abuse found dead
- Beirut protests grow as summer garbage crisis lingers
- Barak: Israel nearly attacked Iranian nuclear facilities