NATO airstrike kills 4 Taliban, 10 civilians
KABUL, Afghanistan — A NATO airstrike apparently targeting Taliban commanders in an Afghan village near the border with Pakistan killed 10 civilians, including women and children, officials said on Wednesday.
The attack Tuesday night in the village of Chugam, in eastern Kunar province, killed four Taliban commanders, according to Abdul Zahir, the governor of Shigal district.
Zahir said Afghan and NATO forces were conducting a ground operation in the area when insurgents opened fire on them from inside a house. The ground forces called for backup, resulting in the airstrike, he said.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Testing of Tut’s tomb hints at hidden chamber
- Top Kurdish lawyer shot dead in Turkey
- In Uganda, Pope Francis pays tribute to nation’s martyrs
- Suicide bomber targets crowd of Shiites in Nigeria
- Russia hits Turkey with sanctions amid frayed relations
- France, Russia iron out alliance against Islamic State
- Pope to preach peace in fractured Central African Republic
- Kenyans accused of spying for Iran
- French President Hollande, activists gear up for climate talks
- French lawmakers vote to continue airstrikes against Islamic State
- China to reorganize military under joint command