NATO airstrike kills 4 Taliban, 10 civilians
KABUL, Afghanistan — A NATO airstrike apparently targeting Taliban commanders in an Afghan village near the border with Pakistan killed 10 civilians, including women and children, officials said on Wednesday.
The attack Tuesday night in the village of Chugam, in eastern Kunar province, killed four Taliban commanders, according to Abdul Zahir, the governor of Shigal district.
Zahir said Afghan and NATO forces were conducting a ground operation in the area when insurgents opened fire on them from inside a house. The ground forces called for backup, resulting in the airstrike, he said.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Kurds bring fight to Islamic State in contested Iraqi town
- Nigeria’s Islamic terrorist Boko Haram group poses threat to Cameroon
- Exit poll: Ex-regime official Essebsi is Tunisia’s new president
- Arrests made in Pakistan school massacre
- Australian woman denied mental health court hearing in slayings of 8 children
- Israel responds to rocket strike by rogue jihadists in Gaza Strip
- Pakistan fervent about anti-blasphemy law
- Liberia holds senate elections delayed by Ebola epidemic
- Russia seeks 10 years in prison for Putin foe Navalny
- Thousands in Spain protest ban on demonstrations, burning national flag
- Hope for better days in Pakistan shattered in school attack