NATO airstrike kills 4 Taliban, 10 civilians
KABUL, Afghanistan — A NATO airstrike apparently targeting Taliban commanders in an Afghan village near the border with Pakistan killed 10 civilians, including women and children, officials said on Wednesday.
The attack Tuesday night in the village of Chugam, in eastern Kunar province, killed four Taliban commanders, according to Abdul Zahir, the governor of Shigal district.
Zahir said Afghan and NATO forces were conducting a ground operation in the area when insurgents opened fire on them from inside a house. The ground forces called for backup, resulting in the airstrike, he said.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Air Algerie flight ‘probably’ crashed in Mali in rough weather
- UN school in Gaza caught in cross-fire; 15 killed
- ‘Explosion of evil’ in Europe against Jews condemned
- Russia says it will block 13 Americans, including lawmaker, from entering country
- Bodies of Malaysia Airlines plane crash victims return to Netherlands
- Suicide bombs in Nigeria kill 82; ex-leader targeted
- Ban of flights to and from Israel feared to bolster Hamas
- Ukraine rebel leader admits they had BUK
- Acetaminophen no better for back pain than placebo, researchers report
- Ukraine denies firing artillery shell across border, killing 1 in Russia
- Passengers hailed from 13 nations