NATO airstrike kills 4 Taliban, 10 civilians
KABUL, Afghanistan — A NATO airstrike apparently targeting Taliban commanders in an Afghan village near the border with Pakistan killed 10 civilians, including women and children, officials said on Wednesday.
The attack Tuesday night in the village of Chugam, in eastern Kunar province, killed four Taliban commanders, according to Abdul Zahir, the governor of Shigal district.
Zahir said Afghan and NATO forces were conducting a ground operation in the area when insurgents opened fire on them from inside a house. The ground forces called for backup, resulting in the airstrike, he said.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Nepal quake death toll tops 4,000 as villages plead for aid
- Poland blocks pro-Putin Russian bikers at border
- Ex-Gitmo detainees protest in Uruguay
- Japan steps up defense activities amid worries about China, North Korea
- Help slow to reach Nepal villages damaged by earthquake
- Employees of Mercer County-based manufacturer among missing in Nepal
- Body of alleged aide to Saddam reported
- Washington Post bureau chief charged with espionage in Iran
- Navy aircraft carrier Roosevelt rushes to Yemen to block Iran’s arms
- Saudi airstrike hits arms depot in Yemen
- ‘Groundhog Day’ musical to debut on London stage