Former government official arrested after Russian lawmaker’s body found in barrel
By The Associated Press
Published: Monday, February 18, 2013, 9:18 p.m.
Updated: Wednesday, February 20, 2013
MOSCOW — The body of a Russian lawmaker was found cemented in a barrel, and a former government official has been accused of ordering the killing over an $80 million debt, officials said on Monday.
Mikhail Pakhomov, 37, went missing last week. He was a member of the local legislature in Lipetsk, a city about 215 miles south of Moscow. He was last seen last Tuesday when three unidentified men pushed him into a car outside a restaurant in Lipetsk and drove away.
Russia's Investigative Committee says that several suspects were detained and that authorities found Pakhomov's badly beaten body in a barrel of cement in a garage.
Russian television stations aired footage provided by police that showed a fragment of a barrel, pieces of concrete and officers carrying what appeared to be Pakhomov's body on a stretcher and loading it into a vehicle.
The Investigative Committee said Yevgeny Kharitonov is being held on suspicion of ordering the killing. Kharitonov is a former deputy minister for communal services in the Moscow region's provincial government.
The committee's spokesman said one of the detained suspects told investigators that Kharitonov had told them that he had to recover the debt to advance his career.
- 6 Americans die in suicide blast in Afghanistan
- Pakistan’s Sharif sends mixed message to U.S.
- Builders destroy Mayan pyramid
- Deadly bomb hits in Benghazi
- Turkey’s support of rebels criticized after blast
- Part of Nigeria under state of emergency because of rebellion
- Ambassador said to have turned down security help
- Bombings kills at least 33 in Iraq
- Mexican official fired over influence
- Obama vague on influence in Syria
- Danish teen finds rare Viking coins
You must be signed in to add comments
To comment, click the Sign in or sign up at the very top of this page.
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.