Iran says it captured foreign aircraft
TEHRAN — Iran's powerful Revolutionary Guard said on Saturday that it had captured a foreign unmanned aircraft during a military exercise in southern Iran.
Gen. Hamid Sarkheili, a spokesman for the military exercise, said the Guard's electronic warfare unit spotted signals indicating that foreign drones were trying to enter Iranian airspace.
Sarkheili said the Iranians were able to take control of one drone's navigation system and brought it down near the city of Sirjan, where the military drills had begun.
In Washington, a CIA spokeswoman declined to comment on the report.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Everything is America’s fault, Putin says
- As oil prices fall, fear rises in Venezuela
- Attack on Egypt army post in Sinai peninsula kills 30 troops
- Canada balances security, openness
- Sweden calls off search for mystery submarine
- Miss Uganda hopefuls get dirty in agriculture phase of contest
- China to test lunar orbiter
- Canadians more fearful, aware after ‘very rare’ attack in Ottawa
- South African Olympian Pistorius sentenced to 5 years in prison for killing girlfriend
- American baby killed, 8 hurt as car plows into crowd at Jerusalem train station
- Gunman in Ottawa attack had been waiting for passport to go to Syria