Decision made on Benedict’s new title, attire
By The Los Angeles Times
Published: Tuesday, February 26, 2013, 9:09 p.m.
Updated: Tuesday, February 26, 2013
VATICAN CITY — The Vatican settled the question of what you call a retired pontiff by announcing on Tuesday that once he steps down from office later this week, Pope Benedict XVI will bear the title “pope emeritus” or “Roman pontiff emeritus.”
The outgoing pope will continue to be addressed as “His Holiness” and will keep the name Benedict XVI rather than being called Joseph Ratzinger.
He will still be robed in white, a simple cassock with no adornments. But Benedict, an inveterate shoe lover, will swap his red shoes for brown ones that he spotted and liked in Mexico.
The pope's post-retirement title and attire have been the subject of excited speculation by Vatican watchers, who have raised all manner of questions — some arcane, some more pressing — about what happens when a pope resigns. Benedict is the first pontiff to step down in about 600 years, meaning there is no playbook for such an event.
The decision on the title and his outfit was made by the pope himself in consultation with other church officials, the Vatican said.
Benedict's last day as head of the Roman Catholic Church will be Thursday. The Vatican said he is spending the final days of his papacy in prayer and reflection, with few meetings on his schedule.
On Wednesday, he will hold his final general audience, which is being moved to St. Peter's Square to accommodate the expected crowds. Vatican officials said 50,000 tickets have been requested, and more visitors are likely to show up without tickets.
- Unchecked looting guts Egypt’s heritage, with one ancient site ‘70 percent gone’
- Protesters keep up pressure in Brazil
- Egyptologist risks life, career to expose looting
- Regime steps up offensive near air base, elsewhere
- Isolated Putin won’t budge on Syria
- Bomber targets mourners at Pakistan funeral; 29 dead
- Commander of Nazi-led unit under investigation
- U.S., Taliban to formally talk peace
- Interim Montreal mayor quits after fraud arrest
- Dozens die in blast at Iraqi mosque
- We only sell real thing, Egyptian grave-robbing family boasts
You must be signed in to add comments
To comment, click the Sign in or sign up at the very top of this page.
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.