Palestinian ends hunger strike, confined to Gaza
By The Associated Press
Published: Sunday, March 17, 2013, 8:00 p.m.
Updated: Sunday, March 17, 2013
EREZ CROSSING, Gaza Strip — A freed Palestinian prisoner was given a hero's welcome in the Gaza Strip on Sunday evening after ending his hunger strike in an Israeli jail and agreeing to a plea bargain that will confine him to the Hamas-run territory for 10 years.
After his release from Israeli custody, Ayman Sharawneh arrived at the Erez Crossing in an ambulance with its siren blaring and lights flashing as TV cameramen and photographers gathered around the vehicle as it crossed into Gaza. Dozens of Palestinians waved national flags and chanted slogans calling for freedom.
Sharawneh, 53, appeared weak and shrunken, and was taken to a hospital in Gaza City.
Sharawneh, a resident of the West Bank, had been refusing food since July to protest his incarceration. His lawyer, Jawad Bulous, said Sharawneh accepted the offer of confinement, fearing he would be sent to prison for decades in a military court hearing set for Monday.
“The occupation committed two crimes,” Sharawneh said, referring to Israel. “Arresting me, and then keeping me away from my family. But in Gaza, I am also with my family,” he said, his voice croaking as he spoke from his hospital bed.
Sharawneh, who was serving a 38-year prison sentence for participating in terrorist attacks, was among about 1,000 Palestinian prisoners freed in 2011 in exchange for an Israeli soldier held for five years by Hamas militants in Gaza.
In one attack, he detonated an explosives-filled handbag in the southern Israeli city of Beersheba, wounding more than a dozen people. He was also involved in a kidnapping attempt, according to Israel's Shin Bet security service.
He was arrested again in January 2012 after being accused of violating the terms of his release by making contact with members of the militant Islamic group Hamas. The military court could have ordered him to serve out the remainder of his original sentence.
Sharawneh began his hunger strike in July but halted it, believing he would be released.
His confinement to Gaza means he will be cut off from his family. It is difficult for Palestinians in the West Bank to obtain permission from Israeli military authorities to cross Israel to enter Gaza. The West Bank flanks Israel's east, while Hamas-ruled Gaza borders Israel in the southwest.
Sharawneh's mother said she was pleased. “It doesn't matter if he goes to Gaza. To be freed is the most important thing,” said Zahra Sharawneh. “I hope the people of Gaza greet him and give him the care that he needs.”
The Shin Bet said in a statement that Sharawneh could leave Gaza after the 10-year period “if he hasn't returned to terror activity.”
Sharawneh was among four Palestinian prisoners who have been on hunger strikes.
Another, Samer Issawi, has been on a hunger strike for over seven months. He began refusing food in August, when he was detained. He has taken nutrients in a hospital drip from time to time to stay alive, although his health condition is considered grave.
Issawi was sentenced to 26 years in prison for his involvement in a series of shooting attacks targeting Israeli police cars and students at the Hebrew University in Jerusalem.
Issawi was also freed as part of the 2011 prisoner exchange and was rearrested for violating his release conditions.
The two other hunger strikers, Tarek Qaadan and Jafar Ezzeldeen, are in administrative detention, a system where prisoners can be held indefinitely without being charged, in three-month renewable periods. They began refusing food when they were detained more than four months ago.
- U.S., Taliban to formally talk peace
- Unchecked looting guts Egypt’s heritage, with one ancient site ‘70 percent gone’
- Egyptologist risks life, career to expose looting
- We only sell real thing, Egyptian grave-robbing family boasts
- As G8 opens, Obama, Putin to seek common ground on Syria
- Report: U.S. long ready to aid rebels
- United States, Taliban to start talks in Qatar office
- At least 17 killed when suicide bomber detonates car at gate of Afghan Supreme Court
- Egyptian court decision troubles world leaders
- Leaker Snowden says U.S. hacking of China huge
- Turkish protesters question Erdogan offer
You must be signed in to add comments
To comment, click the Sign in or sign up at the very top of this page.
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.