Man dies of SARS-linked virus
BERLIN — A man from the United Arab Emirates who was infected with a new SARS-related virus has died in Munich, German authorities said Tuesday.
The case brings the number of confirmed human cases of new coronavirus infection worldwide to 17, according to the World Health Organization. Of these, 11 have died.
The city hospital in Munich said the 73-year-old patient, who was transferred from Abu Dhabi on March 19, had been suffering from an unspecified “serious underlying condition” that meant his chances of survival had been slim.
The new virus was first identified last year in the Middle East, and most of the patients infected had traveled to Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Jordan or Pakistan.
The new coronavirus is part of a group of viruses that cause ailments including the common cold and SARS. In 2003, a global outbreak of SARS killed about 800 people worldwide.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Employees of Mercer County-based manufacturer among missing in Nepal
- More than 2,500 confirmed dead in Nepal earthquake
- Mexicans pin hopes on anti-corruption measures approved by Congress
- Nepal quake: More than 1,800 dead, history razed, Everest shaken
- Military draftees ignore Ukraine’s call to arms
- Deadly earthquake devastates Nepal, triggers Mount Everest avalanche
- Fighting, gasoline shortage intensify Yemen crisis
- EU foreign ministers to meet after latest migrant tragedy
- Man who landed drone on Japanese PM’s office surrenders
- Italy marks anniversary of its rebellion against fascism
- Australians, Kiwis mark centenary of bloody battle