Flea circus freezes to death in Germany, but show goes on
BERLIN — An entire troupe of performing fleas has fallen victim to the freezing temperatures gripping Germany.
Flea circus director Robert Birk says he was shocked to find all of his 300 fleas dead inside their transport box on Wednesday morning.
The circus scrambled to find and train a new batch so it could fulfill its engagements at an open-air fair in the western town of Mechernich-Kommern.
Michael Faber, who organizes the fair, told The Associated Press that an insect expert at a nearby university was able to provide 50 fleas in time for the first show on Sunday.
Birk said it was the first time his circus had lost all of its fleas to the cold at one time.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Police: Gunfire in Canadian Parliament after soldier shot
- ISIS claims it grabs U.S. military ware
- Nasal cells help paralyzed man make history by walking
- U.S. losing drug war in Afghanistan despite $7.6B eradication effort, inspector general reports
- NATO chases Russian aircraft
- Secretary of State Kerry’s airplane grounded a 4th time
- Benghazi resigned to clashes as Islamist militias battle forces loyal to government
- Fatal attack on soldier in Quebec ‘terrorist act’
- Loophole rewards expelled Nazi suspects with Social Security benefits
- Rock of ages put on display in Israel
- Sweden says credible reports of foreign submarine in its waters