Flea circus freezes to death in Germany, but show goes on
BERLIN — An entire troupe of performing fleas has fallen victim to the freezing temperatures gripping Germany.
Flea circus director Robert Birk says he was shocked to find all of his 300 fleas dead inside their transport box on Wednesday morning.
The circus scrambled to find and train a new batch so it could fulfill its engagements at an open-air fair in the western town of Mechernich-Kommern.
Michael Faber, who organizes the fair, told The Associated Press that an insect expert at a nearby university was able to provide 50 fleas in time for the first show on Sunday.
Birk said it was the first time his circus had lost all of its fleas to the cold at one time.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Mom of Canada suspect: I cry for victims, not son
- Canadians more fearful, aware after ‘very rare’ attack in Ottawa
- Abbas seems desperate in round of belligerent rhetoric
- 2 dead in shooting attack at Canada’s Parliament
- Benghazi resigned to clashes as Islamist militias battle forces loyal to government
- Kobani ground defense struggles
- Tourism in Iran increases 35%
- Loophole rewards expelled Nazi suspects with Social Security benefits
- South Korea: Two Koreas exchange gunfire along border
- Submarine hunt sends Cold War chill across Baltic
- Deepening U.S. commitment to Kobani ties Obama’s Islamic State effort to Kurds’ fate