Flea circus freezes to death in Germany, but show goes on
BERLIN — An entire troupe of performing fleas has fallen victim to the freezing temperatures gripping Germany.
Flea circus director Robert Birk says he was shocked to find all of his 300 fleas dead inside their transport box on Wednesday morning.
The circus scrambled to find and train a new batch so it could fulfill its engagements at an open-air fair in the western town of Mechernich-Kommern.
Michael Faber, who organizes the fair, told The Associated Press that an insect expert at a nearby university was able to provide 50 fleas in time for the first show on Sunday.
Birk said it was the first time his circus had lost all of its fleas to the cold at one time.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Australia facing methamphetamine crisis
- Obama, Modi declare era of ‘new trust’ in US-India relations
- Japan stunned by video claiming death of 1 of 2 Islamic State hostages
- Ukraine: Phone calls prove Russia-backed rebels attacked Mariupol, killed 30
- Radical left wins Greek parliamentary election on vow to end austerity measures
- Boko Haram attacks northeastern Nigerian city; scores killed
- Obama defends Yemen counterterrorism strategy
- Images of shot Egypt protester revive criticism of police
- Kerry, Hagel rebuke Iraqi PM for criticism of coalition’s effort against terrorists
- Putin casts off rich cronies as sanctions hit Russian elite
- More than 30 Filipino police commandos killed in clash with rebels