Flea circus freezes to death in Germany, but show goes on
BERLIN — An entire troupe of performing fleas has fallen victim to the freezing temperatures gripping Germany.
Flea circus director Robert Birk says he was shocked to find all of his 300 fleas dead inside their transport box on Wednesday morning.
The circus scrambled to find and train a new batch so it could fulfill its engagements at an open-air fair in the western town of Mechernich-Kommern.
Michael Faber, who organizes the fair, told The Associated Press that an insect expert at a nearby university was able to provide 50 fleas in time for the first show on Sunday.
Birk said it was the first time his circus had lost all of its fleas to the cold at one time.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Nigeria’s Islamic terrorist Boko Haram group poses threat to Cameroon
- Kurds bring fight to Islamic State in contested Iraqi town
- Arrests made in Pakistan school massacre
- Exit poll: Ex-regime official Essebsi is Tunisia’s new president
- Australian woman denied mental health court hearing in slayings of 8 children
- ‘Early Mona Lisa’ painting traced to English noble
- Israel responds to rocket strike by rogue jihadists in Gaza Strip
- Grief in Pakistan over school rampage turns to anger toward military
- Pakistan fervent about anti-blasphemy law
- Mental illness, ideology can be deadly mix, producing ‘lone-wolf’ terrorists
- Korean-American aid worker charged in China