Flea circus freezes to death in Germany, but show goes on
BERLIN — An entire troupe of performing fleas has fallen victim to the freezing temperatures gripping Germany.
Flea circus director Robert Birk says he was shocked to find all of his 300 fleas dead inside their transport box on Wednesday morning.
The circus scrambled to find and train a new batch so it could fulfill its engagements at an open-air fair in the western town of Mechernich-Kommern.
Michael Faber, who organizes the fair, told The Associated Press that an insect expert at a nearby university was able to provide 50 fleas in time for the first show on Sunday.
Birk said it was the first time his circus had lost all of its fleas to the cold at one time.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- U.S. ambassador slashed in S. Korea
- Iraqis attempt to cut off ISIS forces
- China again boosts military spending by double digits
- Mexican cartel kingpin busted
- Rape program ordered off air in India amid outcry
- Tikrit battle poses test for Iraqi army
- Russia promises full probe of killing of Putin rival
- Netanyahu claims moral obligation to speak
- Stone Age Britons got wheat from trade route
- Scientists concerned seas will rise, reshaping coastlines
- Iraq opens museum of antiquities in defiance of Islamic State terrorists