Flea circus freezes to death in Germany, but show goes on
BERLIN — An entire troupe of performing fleas has fallen victim to the freezing temperatures gripping Germany.
Flea circus director Robert Birk says he was shocked to find all of his 300 fleas dead inside their transport box on Wednesday morning.
The circus scrambled to find and train a new batch so it could fulfill its engagements at an open-air fair in the western town of Mechernich-Kommern.
Michael Faber, who organizes the fair, told The Associated Press that an insect expert at a nearby university was able to provide 50 fleas in time for the first show on Sunday.
Birk said it was the first time his circus had lost all of its fleas to the cold at one time.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Russia’s missiles-to-Iran deal opens timely market
- Fighting, gasoline shortage intensify Yemen crisis
- Suicide bomb blast in Afghanistan tied to Islamic State
- Replica of ship that aided American cause sets sail
- Australian teenagers arrested in plot to attack veterans event
- Iraqi forces retake key oil refinery from ISIS
- Dissidents on ballot in Cuban elections
- Iraqi PM, visiting United States, rips Saudi airstrikes in Yemen
- DNA matches child born in Vietnam, father in Texas after 40 years
- Malaysia Airlines plane search not nearing end
- Unilateral Obama sanction relief for Iranians possible