Flea circus freezes to death in Germany, but show goes on
By The Associated Press
Published: Sunday, March 31, 2013, 9:21 p.m.
BERLIN — An entire troupe of performing fleas has fallen victim to the freezing temperatures gripping Germany.
Flea circus director Robert Birk says he was shocked to find all of his 300 fleas dead inside their transport box on Wednesday morning.
The circus scrambled to find and train a new batch so it could fulfill its engagements at an open-air fair in the western town of Mechernich-Kommern.
Michael Faber, who organizes the fair, told The Associated Press that an insect expert at a nearby university was able to provide 50 fleas in time for the first show on Sunday.
Birk said it was the first time his circus had lost all of its fleas to the cold at one time.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- In Egypt, government watchdog Genena hit by backlash in uncovering corruption
- South Korean ferry captain arrested; crew’s actions faulted in sinking
- Pro-Russian militants defy accord in eastern Ukraine
- 58 killed in attack on U.N. peacekeeping base in South Sudan
- Ex-Obama campaign strategists to battle each other in British election
- 7.2 earthquake strikes central Mexico
- 12 killed, 4 missing in avalanche on Mt. Everest
- Iranian court spares life of former Marine
- Kiev to deploy troops in Ukraine’s east
- Pakistan judge dismisses 9-month-old’s murder charge
- Iran stands by choice as envoy to United Nations