Wallabies on the loose in Austria
By The Associated Press
Published: Thursday, April 18, 2013, 9:06 p.m.
VIENNA — Volunteers are searching for a pair of wallabies hopping through Austria — yes, Austria.
The kangaroo-like marsupials, which are smaller than “roos” and primarily found in Australia, escaped from a farm in the Upper Austrian countryside, about 110 miles northwest of Vienna. Thursday was the third day of the quest to find them.
There are actually three wallabies on the loose — owner Gabrielle Schrammel says the female has a joey in her pouch.
Austrians often express irritation at being confused for Australians while abroad, and mail meant for Australia occasionally surfaces in this central European Alpine country.
Those Vienna souvenir shops selling T-shirts with the slogan “No kangaroos in Austria” might have to start a recall campaign.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Putin’s national address to Russians raises fears of possible incursion into southeastern Ukraine
- U.S. to release $450M for Iran
- Chaos prevailed on bridge as South Korean ferry listed, crewman says
- Expert witness for Pistorius blistered again
- Afghan officials say detainment of Taliban commander thwarts peace process
- Seabed data analyzed; oil discounted
- Russian military spending increases
- Journalists: Egypt trial a joke
- Putin hangs Ukraine gas debt on EU
- Detection of Malaysian jet signal in ocean up to 5
- Al-Qaida in Yemen shows ‘strength,’ warns U.S.