Egypt's opposition sues in effort to get look at Morsy budget
CAIRO — Several Egyptian opposition parties and civil society groups filed a lawsuit on Saturday to try to force the government to disclose the upcoming fiscal year's planned budget for the country, where the economy has waned amid continued unrest.
The lawsuit is the latest move by groups complaining that President Mohamed Morsy's government has not been transparent about economic measures they say could hurt Egypt's poor.
Egypt's economy has been hit hard by two years of turmoil after the ouster of longtime autocratic President Hosni Mubarak.
The draft budget for the fiscal year beginning in July was presented last week to the economic committee of the Shura Council, an elected advisory body that is serving as a temporary parliament. It is dominated by Islamist parties, which have swept all of Egypt's elections since the fall of Mubarak.
Egypt's finance minister, El-Morsi Hegazi, told lawmakers in the council last week that the budget deficit is projected at $28.5 billion, about $1.7 billion more than the current fiscal year's.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Everything is America’s fault, Putin says
- Miss Uganda hopefuls get dirty in agriculture phase of contest
- Attack on Egypt army post in Sinai peninsula kills 30 troops
- Canada balances security, openness
- As oil prices fall, fear rises in Venezuela
- China to test lunar orbiter
- Sweden calls off search for mystery submarine
- Canadians more fearful, aware after ‘very rare’ attack in Ottawa
- Pope Francis: ‘God is not afraid of new things’
- U.S. airstrikes beat back Islamic State’s push for Mosul dam
- Gunman in Ottawa attack had been waiting for passport to go to Syria