Roadside bomb attacks in Afghanistan kill 3 NATO service members, 9 Afghans

| Tuesday, April 30, 2013, 7:00 p.m.

KABUL, Afghanistan — Roadside bomb attacks in Afghanistan killed three NATO service members and nine Afghans on Tuesday, officials said, clear evidence that the insurgents' annual spring offensive is under way.

The service members died in southern Afghanistan, the U.S.-led coalition in Afghanistan said in a brief statement that provided no other information.

In another attack in the south of the country, a roadside bomb in the Shah Wali Kot district of Kandahar province killed three civilians and wounded five, said Jawed Faisal, a spokesman for the provincial governor.

The Taliban and other insurgent groups make heavy use of roadside bombs. They are among the deadliest weapons in the Afghan war for civilians.

In the north, in Archi district in the province of Kunduz, a roadside bomb killed two people, including a police commander who had been credited with reducing the number of insurgent attacks in his area, said Abdul Nazar, a local council member.

Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.


Show commenting policy