Pakistani politician Imran Khan injured in fall at rally
LAHORE, Pakistan — One of Pakistan's most prominent politicians, former cricket star Imran Khan, fell at a political rally on Tuesday, leaving him with two hairline skull fractures and knocking him off the campaign trail before Saturday's general election.
Khan emerged as a wild-card candidate, and it is unclear how much his widespread personal popularity will translate into votes at the polls. His Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf, however, is considered one of the top three parties in the country.
Khan was treated at the hospital he built in honor of his late mother in the eastern city of Lahore. Doctors told local television that Khan suffered two minor fractures of the skull and had a backache, but none of his injuries was life-threatening.
Just hours after the fall, the charismatic politician spoke to reporters from his hospital bed. He was visibly shaken and had a cut on his forehead, but he was still asking people to vote for his party.
“I have done whatever I could do,” he told national broadcaster Dunya TV. “Now you have to decide whether you want to make a new Pakistan.”
Asad Omar, leader of Khan's party, told Pakistan's Geo News that party leaders would meet on Wednesday to discuss how to continue his campaign.
He said Khan will spend the night in the hospital and that doctors are asking him to rest for 15 days. The former cricket star is in good physical condition and wants to resume his political activities as soon as possible, Omar said.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Iraqi forces claim 2 towns wrested from ISIS
- 100 terrorists killed in Kenya retaliation act
- 5 terror plots foiled, London police say
- Putin says he won’t be Russia’s president for life
- Suicide blast kills 45 at Afghan volleyball tournament
- U.S. proposes extending talks with Iran as pessimism about nuclear deal grows
- Should Westerners who joined ISIS be barred from return?
- Turkey’s President Erdogan: Muslim sailors discovered Americas before Columbus
- Islamic State terrorists behead 3rd American
- 3 Americans, Briton killed in Jerusalem synagogue attack
- Interpol seeks environmental crime suspects