U.S. allots another $100M to aid Syrian refugees, delays decision on arming rebels
ROME — The Obama administration is providing $100 million in new Syria aid, U.S. officials said on Wednesday, but the money is for humanitarian purposes and not linked to any decision on arming Syrian rebels.
The announcement will be made by Secretary of State John Kerry on Thursday in Rome, where his diplomacy includes a meeting with Jordan's foreign minister, the officials said.
The funds will help support 1.4 million Syrian refugees, including many in U.S. ally Jordan, and hundreds of thousands of civilians trapped by the violence inside Syria. Total U.S. humanitarian assistance in the two-year war will climb to $510 million.
The officials weren't authorized to speak publicly on the matter ahead of Kerry's announcement and demanded anonymity.
While the cash influx will certainly be welcomed by aid groups and refugee organizations that have lamented a lack of financial support, it is unlikely to end the clamoring for lethal assistance among rebels fighting Syrian President Bashar Assad's regime.
The Obama administration has said it is considering providing weapons to vetted units in the armed opposition, among other military options, since last week's revelation of a U.S. intelligence assessment that suggested chemical weapons use by the Assad regime. Washington also is looking for ways to halt the violence that has killed more than 70,000 people.
But the United States maintains deep reservations about providing direct military assistance, given the growing presence of al-Qaida-linked and other extremists in the rebel ranks.
Underscoring the administration's goal of a peaceful transition of power to end the war, Kerry met for more than five hours Tuesday with Russian President Vladimir Putin and Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov in Moscow.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.
We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.
While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.
We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers.
We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.
We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.
We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.
We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.