British fugitive caught sunbathing in Spain
MADRID — Spanish police snuck up on a British fugitive as he sunbathed, arresting him in a dramatic raid during which the suspect jumped onto the roof of a nearby outhouse to try to get away.
The arrest of Andrew Terence Moran, 31, on Friday occurred about four years after he assaulted and escaped from security guards during an armed robbery trial in the United Kingdom.
Moran was found at a luxury villa in Calpe, a resort on the Alicante coast, bordering the Mediterranean Sea, an Interior Ministry statement said Sunday.
Police video footage showed how officers stealthily approached a swimming pool while hiding behind walls before pouncing on Moran as he relaxed in red swimming trunks.
As soon as police jumped over the walls, Moran tried to flee, leaping onto the tiled roof of an outhouse before being captured.
According to Britain's Serious Organized Crime Agency, police seized two handguns, 60 rounds of ammunition and a machete.
“Moran thought he could evade capture fleeing to Spain, frequently changing his appearance and using false identities,” said Matt Burton, SOCA's head of investigations.
Moran and an associate, Stephen Devalda, 29, were accused of stealing $38,400 from a mail van in Colne, England, using a handgun, machete and baseball bat. A security guard was injured in the May 2005 robbery.
During his escape from custody in 2009, Moran assaulted four security guards and vaulted over the courtroom dock. He was convicted in his absence of conspiracy to commit armed robbery.
Alerted to his presence near the Mediterranean coast, Spanish police tracked him down last November.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Poland blocks pro-Putin Russian bikers at border
- Nepal quake death toll tops 4,000 as villages plead for aid
- Ex-Gitmo detainees protest in Uruguay
- Employees of Mercer County-based manufacturer among missing in Nepal
- Mexicans pin hopes on anti-corruption measures approved by Congress
- Aftershocks terrify survivors of quake in Nepal that killed 2,500
- Airstrikes hit capital as fighting escalates in Yemen
- China says North Korea has 20 nuclear warheads
- Chechen leader Kadyrov defies Moscow
- All sides in war-torn Yemen say they’re willing to negotiate, but battles, bombs rage unabated
- Senior officials are toppled in China’s anti-graft campaign