British fugitive caught sunbathing in Spain
MADRID — Spanish police snuck up on a British fugitive as he sunbathed, arresting him in a dramatic raid during which the suspect jumped onto the roof of a nearby outhouse to try to get away.
The arrest of Andrew Terence Moran, 31, on Friday occurred about four years after he assaulted and escaped from security guards during an armed robbery trial in the United Kingdom.
Moran was found at a luxury villa in Calpe, a resort on the Alicante coast, bordering the Mediterranean Sea, an Interior Ministry statement said Sunday.
Police video footage showed how officers stealthily approached a swimming pool while hiding behind walls before pouncing on Moran as he relaxed in red swimming trunks.
As soon as police jumped over the walls, Moran tried to flee, leaping onto the tiled roof of an outhouse before being captured.
According to Britain's Serious Organized Crime Agency, police seized two handguns, 60 rounds of ammunition and a machete.
“Moran thought he could evade capture fleeing to Spain, frequently changing his appearance and using false identities,” said Matt Burton, SOCA's head of investigations.
Moran and an associate, Stephen Devalda, 29, were accused of stealing $38,400 from a mail van in Colne, England, using a handgun, machete and baseball bat. A security guard was injured in the May 2005 robbery.
During his escape from custody in 2009, Moran assaulted four security guards and vaulted over the courtroom dock. He was convicted in his absence of conspiracy to commit armed robbery.
Alerted to his presence near the Mediterranean coast, Spanish police tracked him down last November.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pakistani parents jailed for refusing to vaccinate children against polio
- Boko Haram beheading video mimics Islamic State propaganda
- Venezuela calls for U.S. to slash diplomatic mission by 80 percent
- Ukraine’s currency continues nose dive
- 2 British ex-foreign ministers caught in sting
- Greece misses deadline for submitting proposed financial reforms
- Iraq opens museum of antiquities in defiance of Islamic State terrorists
- Al-Qaida-linked fighters seize rebel bases in Syria
- Russians pour into streets to mourn Putin’s foe Nemtsov
- Nigerian mob kills girl suspected to be suicide bomber
- Plane tracking may be more frequent as anniversary of missing flight nears