British fugitive caught sunbathing in Spain
MADRID — Spanish police snuck up on a British fugitive as he sunbathed, arresting him in a dramatic raid during which the suspect jumped onto the roof of a nearby outhouse to try to get away.
The arrest of Andrew Terence Moran, 31, on Friday occurred about four years after he assaulted and escaped from security guards during an armed robbery trial in the United Kingdom.
Moran was found at a luxury villa in Calpe, a resort on the Alicante coast, bordering the Mediterranean Sea, an Interior Ministry statement said Sunday.
Police video footage showed how officers stealthily approached a swimming pool while hiding behind walls before pouncing on Moran as he relaxed in red swimming trunks.
As soon as police jumped over the walls, Moran tried to flee, leaping onto the tiled roof of an outhouse before being captured.
According to Britain's Serious Organized Crime Agency, police seized two handguns, 60 rounds of ammunition and a machete.
“Moran thought he could evade capture fleeing to Spain, frequently changing his appearance and using false identities,” said Matt Burton, SOCA's head of investigations.
Moran and an associate, Stephen Devalda, 29, were accused of stealing $38,400 from a mail van in Colne, England, using a handgun, machete and baseball bat. A security guard was injured in the May 2005 robbery.
During his escape from custody in 2009, Moran assaulted four security guards and vaulted over the courtroom dock. He was convicted in his absence of conspiracy to commit armed robbery.
Alerted to his presence near the Mediterranean coast, Spanish police tracked him down last November.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Russia acts to stanch ruble’s plummet
- Bad day for Israel: U.N. criticizes West Bank settlements; Hamas off EU terror list
- Grief in Pakistan over school rampage turns to anger toward military
- Russia acts to stanch plummet of ruble’s value
- Air traffic control center computer failure cancels flights in London
- Taliban siege at Pakistani school ends with 141 dead
- Hope for better days in Pakistan shattered in school attack
- 2 decades on, Serbs held in Muslim deaths
- Cuba hip-hop mission ‘just plain stupid’
- FBI issues alert on Iranian hackers
- Pope Francis turns out not to have made pets in heaven comment