Toronto mayor claims crack video doesn't exist
TORONTO — Toronto Mayor Rob Ford said on Sunday that a purported video of him smoking crack cocaine does not exist and vowed to seek re-election next year, attacking the media again as a “bunch of maggots.”
The mayor of Canada's largest city, speaking on the weekly radio show he hosts with his brother Doug Ford, a city council member, reiterated that the allegations are ridiculous, but he still has not said whether he has ever used crack.
The video has not been released publicly, and its authenticity has not been verified. Reports on the gossip website Gawker and in the Toronto Star claimed it was taken by men who said they had sold the drug to Ford.
The Associated Press has not seen the video.
The Star reported that two journalists had watched a video that appears to show Ford, sitting in a chair, inhaling from what appears to be a glass crack pipe.
The Star said it did not obtain the video or pay to watch it. Gawker and the Star said the video was shown to them by a drug dealer who had been trying to sell it for a six-figure sum.
When asked by a caller to the show if it was him in the video, Ford responded, “Number one: There's no video, so that's all I can say. You can't comment on something that doesn't exist.”
Ford called the allegations false and said good journalists are “few and far between.”
“A bunch of maggots,” Ford said, quickly adding that he shouldn't have said that.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Saudi prince will donate all wealth, $32B worth
- China’s new national security law covers everything from space to cults
- Fate of Greece remains in peoples’ hands with referendum still on
- Europeans swelter in rare heat
- Egyptian security outposts attacked
- Warhol’s ‘One Dollar’ brings in the big bucks
- Images show Chinese airstrip on man-made Spratly island nearly finished
- ISIS terrorists expelled from Syrian city
- Financial team to assess Puerto Rico’s woes
- Indonesia plane crash death toll 141 as search effort ends
- Famine nears in Yemen; deadly blasts continue