At least 6 die in train crash near Paris
BRETIGNY-SUR-ORGE, France — A train carrying hundreds of passengers derailed and crashed into a station outside Paris on Friday on one of the busiest days of the year for vacation getaways. At least six people were killed and dozens were injured, officials said.
The crash was the deadliest in France in several years. French President Francois Hollande rushed to the scene at the Bretigny-sur-Orge station, 12 miles south of Paris. The Interior Ministry said about 192 people were either injured or being treated for shock. Nine were in critical condition.
Four of the seven train cars slid toward the station, crushing part of the metallic roof over the platform. Images on French television and on Twitter showed gnarled metal and shards on the platform, and debris from the crash clogging the stairwell leading beneath the platform.
Some 300 firefighters, 20 medical teams and eight helicopters were deployed to get survivors out of the metal wreckage, according to the Interior Ministry.
The accident occurred as France is preparing to celebrate its most important national holiday, Bastille Day, on Sunday, and as masses of vacationers are heading out of Paris and other big cities to see family or for summer vacation.
Hollande praised “the mobilization of the emergency services” and reached out in “solidarity with the victims' families.”
He said an inquiry has been started to determine the cause of the crash.
“The inquiries will be public, so that there is absolutely no doubt on what happened,” the president added.
Witnesses reported that the train was not moving at an excessive speed, deepening the mystery of what happened.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Bombs at mosque, restaurant in central Nigerian city kill 44
- Iraqi fighter jet drops bomb over Baghdad, kills 12 people
- Iran nuclear deal teeters on ‘hard choices,’ Kerry says
- Wildfires break out in Spain, Portugal
- Greece’s EU role hangs in limbo as voters reject bailout in referendum
- Egypt claims to kill 63 terrorists in North Sinai
- Iraq, ISIS urge Turks to release dam water
- Greek default drama plays out
- Militants attack Egyptian army checkpoints in Sinai, kill 53
- 100 trillion Zimbabwean dollars worth 40 cents
- Indonesia military transport plane crashes in Medan; more than 70 dead