Cannes jewel theft adds up to $136M
By The Associated Press
Published: Monday, July 29, 2013, 8:00 p.m.
PARIS — Wearing a scarf to mask his face, the gunman sneaked into the posh Cannes hotel and held up a diamond show as three security guards looked on, then fled on foot about a minute later. In the end, he made off with a breathtaking $136 million worth of valuables — one of the biggest jewelry heists this century, maybe ever.
On Monday, a state prosecutor provided details about the brazen heist a day earlier at the Carlton Intercontinental hotel — not least that the loot was worth more than twice the initial $53 million estimate.
Philippe Vique, assistant prosecutor in the nearby town of Grasse, described a canny, quick and logistically simple noontime break-in.
So far, the suspect is believed to have acted alone. He wore a scarf, cap and gloves, and somehow got into the ground-floor showroom through the hotel's French doors, which open out onto a terrace — not the main entrance.
The suspect then held up the show participants with a handgun, took the valuables and fled through a side door onto a perpendicular street.
“He took a bag containing a briefcase and a small box,” Vique said. Rings, earrings and pendants were inside the bag. “He left on foot ... it was very fast.”
The holdup itself took about a minute — with three private security guards, two vendors and a show manager on hand, Vique said. No customers were present.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.
We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.
While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.
We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers.
We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.
We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.
We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.
We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.
- Diplomat delivers stern warning to African nation
- More than 75 injured after London theater’s ceiling partially collapses
- Defense Secretary Hagel calls China’s actions ‘irresponsible’
- Russian President Putin claims he will pardon longtime foe
- Egypt strikes a perilous repose
- Mideast peace deal still possible, Kerry says
- Mandela’s body reaches hometown in rural South Africa
- Moon landing a big step for China
- Christians sentenced for killing Muslim
- Kerry denies U.S. has abandoned former agent missing in Iran
- China forces run-in at sea as warships nearly collide