British court OKs vasectomy for man with low IQ
By The Associated Press
Published: Friday, Aug. 16, 2013, 9:33 p.m.
LONDON — A man who lacks the capacity to give informed consent can be given a vasectomy since he made repeated requests not to have more children, a British court ruled Friday.
The 36-year-old man, known only by his initials DE, has an IQ of 40, lives with his parents and has a long-term girlfriend who has severe learning disabilities.
In 2009, DE's girlfriend became pregnant and had a child. According to the court ruling, DE insisted he did not want any more children. People with his IQ level have a mental age of between 6 and 9, according to an independent psychiatrist cited in the ruling.
His doctors and parents then applied to the court for the vasectomy, because DE doesn't have the mental capacity to understand the procedure's implications. The judge ruled that it is “overwhelmingly in DE's best interests” to have a vasectomy.
Experts said DE was able to consent to a sexual relationship and that a vasectomy would give him a measure of independence. Attempts to teach DE how to use condoms failed.
Britain's Court of Protection regularly makes decisions for people lacking mental capacity. It previously authorized the sterilization of some intellectually challenged women, but this is the first time a vasectomy has been authorized on the grounds that it is in the man's “best interests.”
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pakistan army wants private news channel closed over allegations that link intel agency to shooting
- Sri Lanka to boot British tourist over Buddha tattoo
- Holocaust survivors taxed, student finds in search of Amsterdam city archives
- Pistorius team denies claim he took acting lesson
- Mexico clears way for foreign investors in shale oil drilling
- Extension for sputtering Mideast talks possible
- Nearly 530 suspected Morsy backers condemned in swift trial in Egypt
- Iran blasts ambassador visa denial
- Al-Qaida in Yemen shows ‘strength,’ warns U.S.
- Death toll in South Korean ferry sinking likely to drastically climb
- Expert witness for Pistorius blistered again