President Rouhani: Iran wants to reboot foreign policy
TEHRAN — Iran's new president said on Saturday that his countrymen elected him to change the country's foreign policy and shift away from the bombastic style adopted under his predecessor, Mahmoud Ahmadinejad.
Hasan Rouhani said his government will adjust its tactics to reach out to world powers. But he said the Islamic Republic will retain its principles.
“We don't have the right to use foreign policy to chant slogans or clap,” Rouhani said.
“Foreign policy is not where one can speak or take a position without paying attention,” he said during the inauguration of Iran's new foreign minister, Mohammad Javad Zarif.
“People in the June 14 elections declared that they want a new foreign policy,” the official IRNA news agency quoted him as saying.
Rouhani has pledged to follow a policy of moderation and ease tensions with the outside world. He has also vowed to improve an economy ravaged by international sanctions and mismanagement by empowering technocrats.
He won a landslide victory in June 14 presidential elections, defeating his conservative rivals. Rouhani took the oath of office on Aug. 4 and parliament approved all but three of his proposed ministers Thursday.
The core of Rouhani's team includes figures whose academic pedigrees run through places such as California, Washington, Paris and London.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Russia’s business world rattled by arrest of oil tycoon Yevtushenkov
- Obama, generals part ways on ground war in Iraq
- Al-Qaida’s South Asia wing claims 1st big strike
- With hours before secession vote, many in Scotland undecided
- Nations urged to follow U.S. example on Ebola
- Aid to Ukraine uncertain as its leader visits U.S.
- U.S. Embassy warns citizens of Uganda ‘terrorist cell’
- Poll: ‘No’ leads ‘yes’ in a close Scotland vote on independence from United Kingdom
- 3 troops killed in Taliban strike in Afghanistan
- United Nations fears for safety of staff in Kabul
- 2,900 African migrants killed this year on Mediterranean Sea