German killed in gondola crash
VENICE — A German tourist was crushed to death on Saturday as the gondola in which he was riding collided with a larger boat ferrying passengers along Venice's Grand Canal, authorities said.
The crash occurred about noon near the highly trafficked Rialto bridge, one of the most picturesque and popular spots of the lagoon city, which is overwhelmed by tourists this time of year. Venice's mayor promptly convened a panel of experts to look into worsening congestion in the city's waterways.
Police spokeswoman Erika Veronica Di Francesco said the vaporetto, or “water bus” that plies Venice's canals, was docking and apparently did not see the nearby gondola, which was carrying five members of a visiting German family.
She said the father of the family was believed to have been crushed to death.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Al-Qaida branch in Syria threatens U.S.-backed forces
- Taliban fracture outcome unclear
- Talks fail to yield accord in Pacific
- Vibrantly colored mural spread across 200 homes in central Mexico city
- Comets hold life building blocks
- Bin Laden relatives among crash casualties
- Zimbabwe suspends hunts amid outcry over lion’s death
- Senate to grill United Nations agency chief Amano on Iran nuclear pact
- Syria’s embattled President Assad admits manpower shortage
- Scientists warn about killer robots
- Experimental Ebola vaccine could stop virus in West Africa