German killed in gondola crash
VENICE — A German tourist was crushed to death on Saturday as the gondola in which he was riding collided with a larger boat ferrying passengers along Venice's Grand Canal, authorities said.
The crash occurred about noon near the highly trafficked Rialto bridge, one of the most picturesque and popular spots of the lagoon city, which is overwhelmed by tourists this time of year. Venice's mayor promptly convened a panel of experts to look into worsening congestion in the city's waterways.
Police spokeswoman Erika Veronica Di Francesco said the vaporetto, or “water bus” that plies Venice's canals, was docking and apparently did not see the nearby gondola, which was carrying five members of a visiting German family.
She said the father of the family was believed to have been crushed to death.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Mexico seizes El Chapo’s planes, cars, houses
- Kenyans accused of spying for Iran
- Russia hits Turkey with sanctions amid frayed relations
- Pope’s message received warmly as he arrives in Kenya
- Top Kurdish lawyer shot dead in Turkey
- Testing of Tut’s tomb hints at hidden chamber
- French President Hollande, activists gear up for climate talks
- Mali TV shows photos of “authors” of Radisson Blu hotel attack
- Liberia has 1st Ebola death since being deemed free of disease in September
- Russia vows to punish Turks financially
- Pope to preach peace in fractured Central African Republic