German killed in gondola crash
VENICE — A German tourist was crushed to death on Saturday as the gondola in which he was riding collided with a larger boat ferrying passengers along Venice's Grand Canal, authorities said.
The crash occurred about noon near the highly trafficked Rialto bridge, one of the most picturesque and popular spots of the lagoon city, which is overwhelmed by tourists this time of year. Venice's mayor promptly convened a panel of experts to look into worsening congestion in the city's waterways.
Police spokeswoman Erika Veronica Di Francesco said the vaporetto, or “water bus” that plies Venice's canals, was docking and apparently did not see the nearby gondola, which was carrying five members of a visiting German family.
She said the father of the family was believed to have been crushed to death.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Leaders mark Auschwitz liberation 70 years on without Putin
- Jordan agrees to ISIS swap, releasing suicide bomber to get pilot back
- Luxury Libyan hotel attacked by terrorists
- Obama ‘pays respects’ to late Saudi Arabian monarch
- ISIS affiliate claims hotel bombing in Libya that killed 10, including American
- Leader of Venezuelan congress denies bodyguard’s allegations
- Cuba lays out list of demands for improved relations
- Obama won’t meet with visiting Israeli Prime Minister Netanyahu
- Saudi King Abdullah, a gradual modernizer, dead at 90
- Turmoil confronts new Saudi king on several crucial fronts
- Putin casts off rich cronies as sanctions hit Russian elite