German killed in gondola crash
VENICE — A German tourist was crushed to death on Saturday as the gondola in which he was riding collided with a larger boat ferrying passengers along Venice's Grand Canal, authorities said.
The crash occurred about noon near the highly trafficked Rialto bridge, one of the most picturesque and popular spots of the lagoon city, which is overwhelmed by tourists this time of year. Venice's mayor promptly convened a panel of experts to look into worsening congestion in the city's waterways.
Police spokeswoman Erika Veronica Di Francesco said the vaporetto, or “water bus” that plies Venice's canals, was docking and apparently did not see the nearby gondola, which was carrying five members of a visiting German family.
She said the father of the family was believed to have been crushed to death.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Hungary bars migrants from trains, raising fears they’ll turn to smugglers
- Pakistan says U.S. cut trees illegally
- Professors slam Modi’s record
- Pope: Priests in Holy Year can absolve ‘sin of abortion’
- Migrant crisis forces European Union leaders to set summit
- Fire at Saudi oil company residence kills 11
- Temple in ancient Syrian city of Palmyra bombed by ISIS terrorists
- Refugees race to Hungary as fence goes up
- Lion kills safari guide in park where Cecil lived
- Tropical Storm Erika kills 4 in Dominica
- Al-Jazeera English journalists head to prison in Egypt