German killed in gondola crash
VENICE — A German tourist was crushed to death on Saturday as the gondola in which he was riding collided with a larger boat ferrying passengers along Venice's Grand Canal, authorities said.
The crash occurred about noon near the highly trafficked Rialto bridge, one of the most picturesque and popular spots of the lagoon city, which is overwhelmed by tourists this time of year. Venice's mayor promptly convened a panel of experts to look into worsening congestion in the city's waterways.
Police spokeswoman Erika Veronica Di Francesco said the vaporetto, or “water bus” that plies Venice's canals, was docking and apparently did not see the nearby gondola, which was carrying five members of a visiting German family.
She said the father of the family was believed to have been crushed to death.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Egyptian security outposts attacked
- Saudi prince will donate all wealth, $32B worth
- Fate of Greece remains in peoples’ hands with referendum still on
- China’s new national security law covers everything from space to cults
- Famine nears in Yemen; deadly blasts continue
- Iran shrugs off deadline for nuclear talks
- Indonesia plane crash death toll 141 as search effort ends
- Kuwait holds mass funeral for victims of Shiite mosque suicide bombing
- Militants attack Egyptian army checkpoints in Sinai, kill 53
- Car bomb blast kills Egypt’s top prosecutor Barakat
- Greek default drama plays out