German killed in gondola crash
VENICE — A German tourist was crushed to death on Saturday as the gondola in which he was riding collided with a larger boat ferrying passengers along Venice's Grand Canal, authorities said.
The crash occurred about noon near the highly trafficked Rialto bridge, one of the most picturesque and popular spots of the lagoon city, which is overwhelmed by tourists this time of year. Venice's mayor promptly convened a panel of experts to look into worsening congestion in the city's waterways.
Police spokeswoman Erika Veronica Di Francesco said the vaporetto, or “water bus” that plies Venice's canals, was docking and apparently did not see the nearby gondola, which was carrying five members of a visiting German family.
She said the father of the family was believed to have been crushed to death.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- WHO: Nigeria’s Ebola outbreak is officially over
- Pope Francis: ‘God is not afraid of new things’
- Loophole rewards expelled Nazi suspects with Social Security benefits
- Fiercest fighting in days hits Syrian border town of Kobani
- UN: We botched response to the Ebola outbreak
- West Africa pleads for help as 100 Marines arrive in epicenter of Ebola crisis
- North Korean leader reportedly makes public appearance
- Remains of American soldiers neglected, North Korea regime claims
- Turkish strikes on Kurds complicate anti-IS fight
- Putin, EU leaders to meet amid strain
- Camel likely killed wildlife park owner who didn’t give him can of Coke