TribLIVE

| USWorld


 
Larger text Larger text Smaller text Smaller text | Order Photo Reprints

Al-Qaida claims attacks

Email Newsletters

Click here to sign up for one of our email newsletters.

Daily Photo Galleries

Friday, Aug. 30, 2013, 6:24 p.m.
 

BAGHDAD — The Iraqi branch of al-Qaida claimed responsibility Friday for a lethal wave of coordinated bombings in the Baghdad area earlier this week, as new attacks killed another 14 in the latest outbreak of violence to hit the country.

The deadliest attack struck after nightfall in a Kurdish neighborhood in the ethnically mixed town of Tuz Khormato. Insurgents there set off a non-lethal stun bomb apparently designed to attract a crowd before detonating a real bomb that killed 12 and wounded 10, said the town's police chief, Col. Hussein Ali Rasheed. — AP

Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.

 

 


Show commenting policy

Most-Read World

  1. Islamic State terrorists break into Palmyra museum, Syria says
  2. Former Israeli PM Olmert sentenced to prison for taking campaign money from American
  3. Iran to try Washington Post reporter in closed court on spying charges
  4. Japan to participate in joint exercise with U.S., Australia
  5. Conservative populist Duda becomes Poland’s president
  6. Tornado ravages U.S.-Mexico border towns