Congo rebels declare cease-fire, retreat
KINSHASA, Congo — Rebels entrenched in the hills above one of eastern Congo's largest cities declared a cease-fire on Friday and began retreating from the frontline, the first indication that a joint United Nations and Congolese offensive might be gaining the upper hand in the conflict.
In a sign that the conflict could spill over the border, a large convoy of military vehicles loaded with troops, tanks, artillery cannons and heavy weaponry was observed leaving the capital of Rwanda, Congo's neighbor to the east, which is accused of funneling arms and troops to the M23 rebels.
Rwandan leaders said they were acting to defend their border after shells and rockets, allegedly fired from the Congolese side of the border, landed in Rwandan territory, killing a mother and wounding her 2-month-old baby.
Late Thursday, Rwanda's Foreign Minister Louise Mushikiwabo said on her official Twitter account: “Deliberate shelling of Rwandan territory unacceptable. Rwandan civilians are falling victims. A provocation that will no longer B tolerated.”
On Friday, she tweeted: “Rwandan troops are not in DRC (yet); when they are, you will know.”
The hostilities with Rwanda are escalating as Congolese and United Nations troops appear to be making significant gains against the M23 rebels. The U.N. intervention force has pounded the M23 rebel positions with attack helicopters and artillery fire.
Reached by phone, M23 President Bertrand Bisimwa said his group was retreating and declaring a cease-fire in order “to give peace a chance.”
“We have decided to decree a unilateral cease-fire, and we have started pulling our forces out of Kanyaruchinya,” he told The Associated Press. “This announcement, which was made unilaterally, is meant to allow the Congolese to return to the negotiating table.”
In a statement Friday, U.N. spokesman Martin Nesirky said that — in addition to the village of Kanyaruchinya — the rebels had vacated the village of Kibati and the area of Kibati Heights.
Congolese military spokesman Col. Olivier Hamuli confirmed that the area of Kibati had been retaken, and said that combat was ongoing in Kibumba, about 18 miles from Goma.
“They announced (their cease-fire) when they realized that they were losing on the ground. I am just back from the frontline, and they have suffered heavy losses. They have abandoned an arms depot with heavy weapons,” Hamuli said. “They even abandoned a military vehicle, which proves that they are quitting because if they are just retreating, they should take their armaments with them.”
In Congo's capital, Kinshasa, government spokesman Lambert Mende said the call for a cease-fire does not go far enough.
“It's our opinion that the only interesting proposition would be to see M23 demobilized, and to see them dissolve and cease all military action. Any other proposal is unacceptable,” said Mende, Congo's minister of information.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.
We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.
While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.
We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers.
We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.
We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.
We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.
We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.
- After U.S. indictments, Chinese military scalesc back hacks on American industry
- Pope Francis visits mosque in war-torn Central African Republic, calls for end to conflict
- World leaders show willingness to act at climate change summit
- Northern Ireland’s restrictive abortion law ‘breaches human rights,’ court rules
- Burned-out van belonged to missing Australians, Mexican prosecutors say
- Israeli court convicts two Jewish teenagers in 2014 killing of Palestinian youth
- Boko Haram destroys Nigerian military base; 107 troops MIA
- Mexico seizes El Chapo’s planes, cars, houses
- EU expects ‘immediate’ clampdown on migrants in $3.2B deal with Turkey
- Turkey shoots down Russian jet it says violated its airspace
- Liberia has 1st Ebola death since being deemed free of disease in September