TribLIVE

| USWorld


 
Larger text Larger text Smaller text Smaller text | Order Photo Reprints

Egypt attacks Islamic forces

Daily Photo Galleries

By The Associated Press
Saturday, Sept. 7, 2013, 7:42 p.m.
 

CAIRO — Egyptian helicopter gunships and tanks pounded suspected hideouts and weapon caches of Islamic militants on Saturday in the northern Sinai Peninsula in what locals say is the largest operation in the lawless region in years. Nine militants and two soldiers were killed during the raids, security officials said.

Officials say that the military is hunting hundreds of militants believed to be responsible for a series of attacks in the region they overran after the fall of autocrat Hosni Mubarak in 2011. The militants, the officials say, belong to a number of well-known al-Qaida-inspired groups that seek the establishment of an Islamic Caliphate in northern Sinai, a region bordering Israel and the Gaza Strip.

Attacks in the region have increased following the July 3 military coup that toppled President Mohamed Morsy, an Islamist, prompting the military offensive.

Early Saturday, residents say they saw winding columns of trucks and armored vehicles pour into the area. Some said they had not seen soldiers on foot in their villages in decades. Communications were jammed for hours, as authorities seized control of two telephone exchanges.

Military helicopters hovered overhead in a dozen villages concentrated near two border towns of Rafah and Sheikh Zuweyid, security officials said. Airstrikes targeted shacks believed to be gathering points of militants, they said. Soldiers later stormed homes searching for suspected fighters.

“Successive strikes are aimed at causing paralysis of the militant groups and cutting communications between each other,” a security official said. “The offensive is carried out within a time frame where there will be periods of calm for intelligence before resuming once again.

“We aim for cleansing the whole region of militants and prevent them from coming back,” he added.

Other officials said two soldiers were killed in a nighttime attack by militants in the town of Sheikh Zuweyid in northern Sinai. The soldiers were there as part of the offensive.

The officials spoke on condition of anonymity as they were not authorized to publicly brief journalists.

In a statement, Army spokesman Col. Ahmed Mohammed Ali said nine suspected militants were killed on Saturday and nine others detained.

 

 
 


Show commenting policy

Most-Read World

  1. Teen girls found no roadblock to flights
  2. Canadians more fearful, aware after ‘very rare’ attack in Ottawa
  3. China’s Communist Party angles to improve judiciary
  4. Deadly crash into train station prompts crackdown in Jerusalem
  5. Saudis tell women: Don’t defy and drive
  6. South Korea: Two Koreas exchange gunfire along border
  7. Abbas seems desperate in round of belligerent rhetoric
  8. Libyan troops seek to retake Benghazi
  9. U.S. airstrikes beat back Islamic State’s push for Mosul dam
  10. Gunman in Ottawa attack had been waiting for passport to go to Syria
  11. Benghazi resigned to clashes as Islamist militias battle forces loyal to government
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.