Al-Qaida leader tells jihadis: Attack U.S. 'on its own soil'
By The Associated Press
Published: Friday, Sept. 13, 2013, 7:21 p.m.
CAIRO — Al-Qaida's leader on Friday marked the anniversary of the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks by calling on Muslims to strike inside the United States, with big attacks or small, using any opportunity they can to “bleed” America financially.
In an audio message released two days after the 12th anniversary of the attacks, Ayman al-Zawahri said America is not a “mythic power” and that the mujahedeen — Islamic holy warriors — can defeat it with attacks “on its own soil.”
Al-Zawahri, the successor to Osama bin Laden, used the anniversary to argue that the United States can be defeated by targeting its economy. At the same time, he addressed the ongoing upheaval in the Arab world. Pointing to a power struggle going on within the rebellion against Syria's regime, he warned jihadi fighters in that country's civil war to not “compromise” with more secular or moderate rebel factions, who he said would eventually turn against the al-Qaida-linked radicals.
The message's authenticity could not be independently confirmed. It was posted on a militant website commonly used by al-Qaida.
Al-Zawahri, who is believed to be hiding in the Pakistan-Afghanistan border regions, said al-Qaida sympathizers should stage small attacks or a “big strike” against the United States, similar to the Sept. 11 attacks in New York and Washington, leaving America in “a state of tension” about when and where the next hit would come.
Small attacks could be done by only a few or even just one person, while at the same time “we must watch and wait to seize any opportunity to direct a large strike on (America), even if that takes years of patience to do it,” he said.
“We should bleed America economically by motivating it to continue its huge expenditure on its security as America's weak point is its economy, which already has begun stumbling because of the military and security expenditure,” he said. “America is not a mythic power and the Americans, after all, are humans who can be defeated, felled and punished.”
He urged the Islamic world to “abandon the dollar and replace it with a currency of other countries that are not taking part in the aggression against us.”
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Syria yields bulk of toxic weapons
- U.S. increases surveillance of N. Korea amidst rumors
- Mexico clears way for foreign investors in shale oil drilling
- Extension for sputtering Mideast talks possible
- Toll rises in South Korean ferry tragedy; more of crew held
- Holocaust survivors taxed, student finds in search of Amsterdam city archives
- Russia’s push into Ukraine leads NATO to increase its Baltics presence
- Pistorius team denies claim he took acting lesson
- 284 missing, 4 dead in South Korea ferry disaster
- U.S. to release $450M for Iran
- South Korean ferry captain arrested; crew’s actions faulted in sinking