TribLIVE

| USWorld


 
Larger text Larger text Smaller text Smaller text | Order Photo Reprints

Israeli soldier shot and killed in Hebron

About The Tribune-Review
The Tribune-Review can be reached via e-mail or at 412-321-6460.
Contact Us | Video | Photo Reprints

Daily Photo Galleries


By The Los Angeles Times

Published: Sunday, Sept. 22, 2013, 9:00 p.m.

JERUSALEM — An Israeli soldier in Hebron was shot and killed on Sunday in what authorities suspect was an attack by a Palestinian sniper.

It was the second such attack in the West Bank since Friday, when a Palestinian man lured an Israeli soldier to another West Bank village and killed him.

The attack on Sunday took place outside the Tomb of the Patriarchs in the West Bank city of Hebron. The site is a popular pilgrimage for Jews during the Sukkot holiday.

“The soldier participated in the Israel Defense Forces routine activities defending the Jewish neighborhood of Hebron and approximately 11,000 civilians visiting the area during the holiday of Sukkot,” the military said in a statement.

Israeli soldiers were searching the area around Hebron in an attempt to catch those responsible for the shooting.

In the attack on Friday, Israel Defense Forces soldier Tomer Hazan, 20, was said to have been lured to the West Bank village of Siniria by a Palestinian former co-worker, Nadal Amar, 42.

Israeli officials said Amar told police he planned to use Hazan's body as a bargaining chip to win the release of Amar's brother, Nur Al Din Amar, an operative with the militant group Tanzim who was imprisoned in 2003 for terrorist activities.

Some right-wing Israeli lawmakers called upon Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu to pull out of peace talks with the Palestinian Authority to protest the killings, or refuse to release Palestinian prisoners that Israel previously said it would set free as part of the revived process.

“Since the release of terrorists has been tied to progress in peace talks from the get-go, there is no doubt that some developments since the launch of negotiations require the government to rethink its path,” said Economy Minister Naftali Bennett.

 

 
 


Show commenting policy

Most-Read World

  1. Extension for sputtering Mideast talks possible
  2. Toll rises in South Korean ferry tragedy; more of crew held
  3. Pistorius team denies claim he took acting lesson
  4. U.S. increases surveillance of N. Korea amidst rumors
  5. Syria yields bulk of toxic weapons
  6. Pope Francis, huge crowd joyously celebrate Easter
  7. Yemeni forces pound al-Qaida base again
  8. Al-Qaida in Yemen shows ‘strength,’ warns U.S.
  9. Putin’s national address to Russians raises fears of possible incursion into southeastern Ukraine
  10. 58 killed in attack on U.N. peacekeeping base in South Sudan
  11. U.S. drone strike in Yemen kills suspected al-Qaida militants
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.