Israeli soldier shot and killed in Hebron
JERUSALEM — An Israeli soldier in Hebron was shot and killed on Sunday in what authorities suspect was an attack by a Palestinian sniper.
It was the second such attack in the West Bank since Friday, when a Palestinian man lured an Israeli soldier to another West Bank village and killed him.
The attack on Sunday took place outside the Tomb of the Patriarchs in the West Bank city of Hebron. The site is a popular pilgrimage for Jews during the Sukkot holiday.
“The soldier participated in the Israel Defense Forces routine activities defending the Jewish neighborhood of Hebron and approximately 11,000 civilians visiting the area during the holiday of Sukkot,” the military said in a statement.
Israeli soldiers were searching the area around Hebron in an attempt to catch those responsible for the shooting.
In the attack on Friday, Israel Defense Forces soldier Tomer Hazan, 20, was said to have been lured to the West Bank village of Siniria by a Palestinian former co-worker, Nadal Amar, 42.
Israeli officials said Amar told police he planned to use Hazan's body as a bargaining chip to win the release of Amar's brother, Nur Al Din Amar, an operative with the militant group Tanzim who was imprisoned in 2003 for terrorist activities.
Some right-wing Israeli lawmakers called upon Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu to pull out of peace talks with the Palestinian Authority to protest the killings, or refuse to release Palestinian prisoners that Israel previously said it would set free as part of the revived process.
“Since the release of terrorists has been tied to progress in peace talks from the get-go, there is no doubt that some developments since the launch of negotiations require the government to rethink its path,” said Economy Minister Naftali Bennett.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Annual global obesity costs rise to $2T
- Coal corruption scandal saps enthusiasm for eastern Ukraine rebels
- North Korea threatens to resume nuclear tests
- Israeli mayor suspends jobs of some Arabs, citing synagogue attack
- United Arab Emirates brands Muslim Brotherhood terrorists
- Islamic State terrorists behead 3rd American
- Lander data shows dust, ice
- Russian TV claims it has photo of downing of Malaysian jet
- Romanian leader edged out in neck-and-neck runoff
- Latest beheading video tries to portray global base of jihadists
- 3 Americans, Briton killed in Jerusalem synagogue attack